Onyx needs to be removed as the space is required and the deadline for converting it into a refrigerator has been exceeded.
- [user:phillipbeynon] was asked in October if the Onyx could be made intoa refrigerator for use in the kitchen.
- A December 1st deadline was set and has since passed.
- Although a refrigeration expert has given me his consultation on the matter and ways to go about it, He hasn't made good on his commitment to provide a cooling unit so the project has lagged. --Phillipbeynon 21:49, 2 December 2008 (PST)
- No standard refrigerator will fit within the existing frame.
- I have been informed of several off the shelf alternatives that would accomplish the cooling required.
To implement this proposal
- Option 1: Scrap the entire unit.
- Option 2: On site build
- Extend the time line and allow --Phillipbeynon 21:49, 2 December 2008 (PST) to:
- Create a materials list and cost analysis, and
- Complete the project on site.
- Option 3: Off site build
- Gut the Onyx removing all non essential components leaving the shell
- Deliver it to Phillip's apartment where he can complete the project without any financial commitment.
Questions and Discussion for the Group
- Which solution would be most effective in disposing of the parts in an environmentally conscientious manner.
- Internals are mainly steel. Bezels covering sides and dors on front are Plastic.
- Options 1, 2, and 3: Who will commit to gutting the Onyx?
- I will--Phillipbeynon 21:49, 2 December 2008 (PST)
- Options 3: Once the Onyx is gutted, what arrangements can be made to tansport it off site.
Start date: 20081205
Power supply modules Power regulation Cards Front fan assembly
IO ports Data cablesKeep intact for display Rear fan assembly Cards: RAM, IO, CPUThese have been stored directly above the door to the kitchen for later addition to thw completed fridge.
- Backplate and mounting assembly
Unscrew from case at front Unscrew from case at rear Remove side access panels Remove internal mounting frame including backplane. Hit it repeatedly with large hammer.
Transport to Phillip's apartment for further wirk to conserve much needed floor space. Remove vertical mounting rails Clean thuroughly
- Measure openings requiring insulation.
- Repair hinge on lower door.
- Prepare parts list.
Aquire secondary compressor for coolent circulation.
- Map pinout of front display and control features.