Volunteer Coordination Meeting - 2009-11-12
- 1 Free Geek Volunteer Coordinator Meeting - 2009-11-12
- 2 Roles
- 3 Attendance
- 4 Reports
- 5 =Megan
- 6 Concensus briefing
- 7 Agenda
- 8 Proposal
- 9 Commit
- 10 Next meeting
Free Geek Volunteer Coordinator Meeting - 2009-11-12
- Next meeting: Volunteer Coordination Meeting - 2009-11-12
- When: Thursday, November 12th, 2009 at 6:30 pm to 9 pm
- Where: Free Geek, 1820 Pandora St, back door
- scribes: George
- Facilitator: Jessica
- Moderator: Geoff
- George L
- Chris H
- Geoff B
- Jessica MP
- Brian K
- Devanne D
- Sid S
- Improving on teaching board
- Improve lighting in card sorting/dismantle
- More task list on stations
- Stations can be broken down to make it simpler
- Introduction of Music
- Preferably family friendly
- She was and still is Volunteer Coordinator, but on long term leave.
- Jessica is interim.
- Last actual meeting is March 12, 2009
- How volunteering had changed since then:
- More people coming in on Build
- Volunteer Intern
- Volunteer/Unpaid, but do have more obligations, duty
- Feels like more volunteer support each other. Everyone is more cohesive
- Quite a lot of confusion (one minute you are collecting that, the next is scrap/keep)
- Stock level change
- bigger warehouse
- Tidy up the build bench
- Build the machines
- Help the store
- Record keeping
- Responsible on teaching on stations.
- In fact is suppose to be a prerequsite.
- Currently it was more for build instructor.
- Is important nonetheless.
- Help in technical stuff.
- Some people are good at doing but not teaching.
- Perhaps support volunteer should also get a tick mark ala Build sheet.
- Basically run the show of FG
- Drives our production
- Always trying to make it so they are able to learn.
- Beginner volunteers are not going to be cleanign the bathroom or answering the phone.
- Functionally: Learnign and teaching
What makes a good support volunteer
- Experience at freegeek AND about Freegeek
- Help explain our stuff, what we do, why we do, etc.
- A floater(?) but more in terms of checking people's confidence around stations
- Teach adoption classes/other support volunteers
- Have workshop for general training (not technical/build oriented training)
- Know about our recycling procedure
- Bring in their iPods
- Think of ways to simplify stations.
- Have them schedule so that at least at a part of the day
- Have them scheduling on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday
Idea to Improve Volunteering
- Hard to go around it.
- Some people do not know; see them as conflict, which is bad!
- It's liability, but also design for teaching other people (never one person is teachign and another maybe teaching somethign else)
- Maybe color code the workstaion?
- Just make sure it won't be affected by color-blindness!
- Build should have Tool Kits to sign out.
- Having a board to put pictures up of people graduate from Build program?
- Since we have gate, no worry of vandalization.
- Just have a toolkits on the shelve, with sign out sheet?
- Special doo-hickeys
- The instructors will have them?
- Issue: what if people jump around the stations through ut the day?
- Tools kits can get lost, will be problematic.
- Some kits are universal, too.
- Basically have everything unknown placed in there.
- Not a good idea?
- As long as it's cleaned out from time to time (temporary), it's good.
- Or: have receiving look at it? Make sure it flows and not just sitting there.
- Usually the one that have odd stuff is to give it to have receiving.
- Need a staging area for the really weird stuff.
- Lots of stuff is hard to categorized.
- Also, should not move stuff to similar place on other station.
- Also issues with compliance issues
- Also, have an overview. Allowing people to know about each stations in a good way.
- Provide knowledges of the details
- Keep in simple, too!
- Some people are prefer reading; some people prefer personal.
- whiteboard good compromize
- Updating wiki will be difficult.
- The wiki need to be bookmarked, too.
- Wiki update is optional.
- It is important to not let people get catch off guard.
- Terminal should be multi (regular) functional instead of intranet only
- We are running on a good-will.
- Splinter hazard - seal the tables?
- Currently gloves are mandatory
- Nails are coming up on the new tables of the warehouse. Need to be take care of pronto (eg hammering, etc)
- Support volunteers, while should not over complicate stuff with technical, should also not be afraid to teach them technical stuff.
- Also should be one role only(Not be both build and support)?
- Instructors (whether build or Support) should know all stations and know how to teach them.
- Change the build sheets to show that new build are capable of doing AND teaching the stations
- Leave the Legacy Build Volunteeers instructor stay in unless they are/will be instructors.
- knowing relevant stations
- Combine: Eval, Predismantling, Card Testing
- Have meetings for support volunteers once a month?
- Try not to be afterhours (people are tired)
- Maybe two seperate days instead of one long day
- Also, what if they are busy?
- Once a month, having training workshops. Can be during day time.
- Do training as a group
- Making a "help box" in receiving
- Make a binder for support volunteers
- Write down what they are good at, enjoy teaching, etc.
- (operation) investigate having terminals in the warehouse
- Figuring out what need to be put on, what kind of access is needed.
- Study concerns with non-freegeek material and figure out how to deal with it.
- Thursday Dec 17th 2009 @ 18:00