Strategic Planning Session 2009
The session is now past tense check out the minutes here
March 8th @ 1pm - 6pm (approx 5 hours)
1pm Opening rounds, settling in [10 min]
1:10pm (Individual work) [25 min]
Determining an organization's values allows us to make strategic goals that prioritize our collective objectives.
This component does NOT describe specific action such as: 1) "We value empowerment, therefore we utilize a support volunteer program" OR 2) We value access to technology, therefore we exchange volunteer hours for computers
Instead, values need to include a general positive action in order to remain flexible and usable for future Strategic Planning Sessions, such as:1)"We value empowerment, therefore we strive to create an environment that fosters peer learning and leadership opportunities OR 2) We value an equitable distribution of wealth, therefore we strive to provide access to technology to all communities
The specific actions that evolve from our collective values manifest in goal setting.
Everyone will be given 5 slips of paper to complete this activity.:
We value__________________, therefore we ____________________ (positive general action).
Afterwards we will all place our values on the white board to be categorized and evaluated. Generally, about 10-15 broad values are ideal for an organization.
Approval of Values
1:35pm (Group work) [30 min]
The facilitator will now roughly categorize the values on the white board and roughly combine duplicates. Afterwards the group will approve the values listed on the white board. Try to resist editing the values beyond rough ideas! This is time consuming and can be done on the wiki. The most important part of this exercise is that consensus is reached on what we collectively value as an organization.
Year in review
2:05pm (Group work) [60 min]
- Goals made, goals met, improvements?
Evaluation of Values & Mission
3:05pm (Group Work) [20 min]
- How have we done so far?
- Which values have we prioritized?
- Where do we fall short?
3:25pm (Individual work) [25 min]
This activity allows us to individually brainstorm organizational goals based on our values. Avoid listing small goals that can be covered at a committee meeting. Try to think of broad goals at the moment, the group will further prioritize and define the goals further into the activity. Everyone will be given 10 slips of paper to fill out:
- Value #___ Goal:______________________________________________________________________________________ ___year
Decide what value this goal is designed to fulfill and whether you think this is suited to be a 1 year or 3 year goal. Place the piece of paper on the white board when finished next to the appropriate value.
3:50pm [20 min]
The facilitator will group the duplicate goals during the break.
Narrow & focus goals
4:10pm (Group work) [40 min]
- What are the most important things we need to accomplish this year?
- What do we want to accomplish in the next 3 years?
- What goals are left over that can be covered on the committee level?
4:50pm (Group work) [30 min]
- What do we need to meet these goals?
- Is the goal[s] possible/feasable?
5:20pm (Pairs or Small groups) [20 min]
- Which work groups will take on which tasks/goals?
- Where do we need to be 1 month from now, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year?
5:40pm (Group work) [15 min]
- Who will bottomline which issues within workgroups?
- Schedule the next meetings necessary
5:55pm (Group Work) [5 min]
- Who will volunteer to email the committees with their tasks?