Monthly Meeting - 2012-01-10
- 1 Introductions
- 2 Reports
- 2.1 Finance
- 2.2 Operations
- 2.3 Outgoing
- 2.4 Communications
- 2.5 Staff / HR
- 2.6 Directors / Governance
- 3 Old business
- 4 New business
- 5 Next meeting
Justin, Mike, Bernie, Christine, Jessica, Joan, Wayne, Karen, Anne, Devenne.
Explanation of roles
Consensus briefer: Jessica
In November we lost $5,863 see 2011 November Report
Retail sales is about the same as October and wholesale has improved by about $2,000.
Year-to-date we made $47,852.
Year-to-date revenue is about 20% above budget and expenses are about the same as budget amount.
- No work done so far. Vancity grant needs to be looked into.
Build / Production
- The store has been fully stocked with both laptops and desktops. We have approx 70 computers ready to be built and are producing around 10 built machines a day, both desktops and laptops.
H & S
- No report
- No report
- No report
- Its been busy coming back after the holidays both incoming and volunteer wise. We are averaging almost 40 volunteers a day. We have over 4500 volunteers on the database now!
$13321 net for December ($2756/26% over budgeted target) Space is no longer a limitation in the thrift store. We can store more and sell more with less stress on staff and volunteers. Our biggest day so far was $1584 net retail at the end of December.
$2635 for December 2011 (within 1% of budget target).
- There are currently approx 10 grants open.
- Open Classroom Project had a class last Thursday. Open Help Night is going well, with regular volunteers giving tech support and people always getting the help they need!
Events / Media
- We were interviewed by two newspapers this week regarding e-waste recycling and were filmed for a show on Shaw about technology. Jessica has a radio interview on Friday next week.
- No report
Staff / HR
Directors / Governance
- A committee has been formed to work on the Director's selection process. It has four people.
Commits from last monthly meeting
1. Staff are committed to rewrite the HR report from November's meeting to correct factual inaccuracies and bring the tone in line with the public forum code of conduct for the next general meeting.
- Staff have decided to remove the report instead.
2. Tim will get the answer to the question whether we are liable for example in the situation where a pedestrian is hit by a trike. Continuing commit.
designation of responsibilities
Tabled from December Meeting:
I feel that FreeGeek could benefit from a better organizational structure for its volunteers. I would like to propose that volunteering be divided into six sectors and that a core volunteer be designated as the person responsible each of the sectors in question. Ideally, the volunteer charged with responsibility for a given sector would wear a name tag identifying her or his sector. For example, since Rod is the defacto supervisor of the dismantle bench, he would wear a tag saying "dismantle bench". Other sectors which currently have defacto supervisors are: "laptops", (Mike F.) and "database" (Joan W.). As volunteers become available, I would also propose a transferable tag for the areas of "desktop build", "store" and "testing". When no core volunteer is available the responsibility in question would devolve to a staff member. These positions will be named “Go To's” and the volunteers to fill the positions will be chosen by Staff. Staff will mediate if problems arise.
- How will these people be decided? How will they be hired and gotten rid of if they don't work out. Should there be a rotation -Wayne
- Then there should be a rotation between staff too- Joan
- You have to train, you can't sit on it, these Go To's have to train- Mike
- Concerned for the flow and that positions open up and everyone has an opportunity. I would like to modify the proposal so that Staff get the say who is in these positions -Wayne
- Staff are in agreement that this is a great idea!- Jessica
- These should be flexible positions without time limits-Karen
- I feel there should be more process in this proposal. So, we don't get into problems later-Wayne
- Joan and Jessica will implement.
Where: Free Geek Vancouver, 1820 Pandora St., back door