Interim Volunteer Coordinator
Free Geek is an environmentally-conscious, non-profit community technology centre. We have a new opening for a 3-month Interim Volunteer Coordinator, starting July 2009.
This position is part of a worker collective in a consensus-based organisation. All full-time staff at Free Geek receive the same wage, regardless of position or seniority. Current salary is $24,000 per year, averaging about 36 hours per week, no more than 40. Training will be paid and provided on-the-job.
Free Geek is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, ability, orientation, or anything else not directly related to merit.
The Interim Volunteer Coordinator will help optimize and oversee volunteer programs and infrastructure at Free Geek, while providing much of the day-to-day support for volunteers.
Role and Responsibilities
You will be responsible for most aspects of volunteer coordination, support and training at Free Geek during daily operations.
- Help volunteers to work in most areas at Free Geek. This may include spending time receiving computer donations, covering recycling, teaching basic computer skills, teaching basic computer hardware identification, and covering the front desk and thrift store.
- Actively identify operational problems and work with staff and volunteers to create and enact solutions
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers to do daily tasks; create and implement a system for coordinating support roles and internships.
- Document as necessary, which will be often.
- Communicate regularly and proactively with other Free Geek coordinators, and participate in collective management structure. Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Conduct regular volunteer orientations; improve volunteer induction and coordination.
- Inreach: create events and systems for volunteer recognition and rewards. Create system for filing/addressing complaints; solicit feedback from staff and volunteers.
- Coordinate educational workshops and instructors.
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to analyze a problem, create the steps to fix it, and follow through on the plan that was created
- Strong experience managing volunteers, students or other human resources; organised and able to delegate to others.
- Enjoy and have experience working with a variety of people
- Ability to work in an informal, friendly environment
- Aptitude for multi-tasking; patient, flexible and positive-minded
- Be a self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision.
Any of the following attributes will contribute to your application:
- Computer hardware knowledge useful
- Current Occupational First Aid certificate
- Experience using basic user-end computer programs like email, web browsers, word processors
- Teaching experience or public speaking ability
- Connections with other non-profits or communities
- Experience in consensus-based organisations, collectives, or collaborative projects; conflict resolution training a plus
- Previous experience volunteering at Free Geek
- Familiarity with free and open source software/philosophy
- Familiarity with environmental issues regarding electronic waste
The ideal candidate will be able to work well under stress in a somewhat chaotic setting, and maintain a positive attitude. You won't be afraid to ask questions but will be able to upkeep your responsibilities almost entirely without supervision. You will be able to remain flexible as Free Geek grows and changes.
How to apply
It is very important that this position be filled as soon as possible!
Applicants must be available to start immediately. Only interview candidates will be contacted.
Email resumes in plain text or PDF format to:
- hr =at= freegeekvancouver =dot= org
*Be sure to mention in the subject line which position you are applying for.