Free Geek accepts ALL computers and computer-related hardware, in ANY condition, FREE OF CHARGE!
NOTE: Due to safety, we cannot take broken CRT monitors, but everything else we're happy to take!
If you have any data privacy concerns, please see our data destruction information.
Hardware can be dropped off during open hours at the back entrance of our depot, Tues-Sat 11am-6pm. Free Geek is at 1820 PANDORA STREET, 2 blocks north of Hastings between Commercial and Hastings. CLICK HERE FOR A MAP TO FREE GEEK. If you have any questions or concerns, call us at 604-879-4335.
For LARGE QUANTITY drop offs (e.g. more than a van worth), please call ahead so we can be ready. Our loading dock has a 41" height. Docking plate is available. We can accommodate trucks with a bed/box no longer than 23'.
REQUESTS FOR PICK UP SERVICE While we prefer to have people and businesses drop off their equipment we also offer pick up services. Please fill out this form and we will contact you with in 2 business days.
WE ACCEPT THE FOLLOWING: COMPUTER HARDWARE
We accept computer related hardware for FREE, working or not, in any condition. We welcome monetary donations to offset our costs and help our educational programs.
* Computers - working or non-working * Parts of computers * Laptops (please attach the laptop power supply with masking tape/rubber bands if possible) * Printers * Scanners * Keyboards and Mice * Fax Machines * Modems, routers, switches * Motherboards and accessory cards * Uninterruptable Power Supplies (UPS) * Computer cables * Cell Phones * Game Consoles, Cartridges and Accessories(Atari, Nintendo, Sega, etc) * Power bars, extension cords, phone cords, etc * CDs and DVDs
* CPU/CRT combos (like iMacs) * LCD Monitors
NOTE: We do not accept smashed CRT monitors due to OHS regulations.
Please bring as little packaging and boxes as possible. Recycle boxes for your equipment through your curb-side recycling program. We do not accept Styrofoam.
* CRT Monitors * Used toner cartridges (we will accept them if they are inside a printer, but not otherwise) * Photocopiers * Telephones (We DO however accept IP phones) * Flash Lights * Electric Typewriters * Stereo Equipment * Styrofoam * Televisions or Remote Controls * Microwave Ovens * Copiers * Smoke Detectors * Appliances (including air conditioners) * Cash Registers * VHS tapes
Recycling software and manuals
Since we use Free and Open Source Software, we do not re-use proprietary software donated to us; it is recycled in accordance with our software policies and proprietary licensing restrictions.
Paper/cardboard packaging and software manuals can be recycled in your mixed paper curb-side recycling bin. The portion that cannot be recycled through your curbside program can be brought to Free Geek, such as floppy diskettes and CDs. If you have manuals for specific pieces of equipment (i.e. motherboards) you are welcome to bring them with the equipment.
Recycling computers is labor intensive. Doing any of the following to prepare your Equipment for donation will help us speed the processing and recycling of your equipment!
1. Untangle all cords and cables. Coil them up with a rubber band or twist tie. 2. Attach power adapters (AC adaptors, transformers) to their associated equipment (such as powered speakers, printers or external modems) as best you can, we suggest wrapping with clear packing tape.
Specific Computer Equipment Needs
While we accept anything computer-related, we are especially in need of the following:
* Memory (DDR and RAMBUS) * Pentium 4 and newer computers * Laptops and their power supply * Hard drives (100 GB and larger) * 100bT network hubs * long runs of CAT5 or CAT6 network cable
- Cordless drill (small and light are good for folks with smaller hands)
- Phillips head screwdrivers
- Flat head screwdrivers
- Stardrivers (Torx)
- Powerdrivers w/recharger
- Needlenose pliers
- Tin snips
- Quality dust masks
- Dry-erase markers and ballpoint pens
- Tape - packing, scotch, duct, masking (1.5" or greater)
- Cleaning supplies (especially trash bags, sponges, ecofriendly cleaning product)
- Plastic Parts Bins (for storage!)
- Signal Generator
- Heat Sink Paste
- Variable Power Supply
- Toilet paper (recycled is best)
- Food (snacks, juice, fair trade coffee beans, chocolate yumyum, etc)
- Printer paper
Free Geek Vancouver is a community-run, community-powered nonprofit. We're not government funded and we don't have sponsors. Recycling equipment ethically means we don't make the outrageous profits that the bad guys make. Your support helps.
If you like what we do, please consider making a cash donation. Your contribution means more community access to computers, more waste diversion, more empowerment and more fun with technology. Every dollar counts; anything you can spare is appreciated!
Click on the magic link below:
Donating by Cheque
Cheques can be made payable to "Free Geek" and mailed or dropped off at:
Free Geek, 1820 Pandora Street, Vancouver BC, V5L 1M5
Cash donations can be brought to our thrift store during operating hours, Tues-Sat 11am-6pm. Then we get to thank you in person!
Please don't send cash through the mail.