Directors Meeting - 2021-01-19
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Discussion
- 2.1 Approval of minutes of last board meeting
- 2.2 Approval of financial statements
- 2.3 Operations update - Mike
- 2.4 Financial update - Jordan
- 2.5 Online store update - Glen
- 2.6 In camera topic
- 2.7 Staff liaison position
- 2.8 Governance update - David
- 2.9 Controls and Directors liability - David
- 2.10 Planning/strategy sessions - Samantha
- 2.11 In camera session
- Glen Mitchell
- Robert Pilkington
- David Lloyd
- Samantha Rousseau
- Jordan Jones
- Mike Frost
- Glen Mitchell
- Robert Pilkington
- Approval of minutes of last board meeting
- Approval of financial statements
- Operations update
- Financial update
- Online store update
- In camera topic
- Staff liaison position
- Governance update
- Controls and Directors liability
- Planning/strategy sessions
- In camera session
Approval of minutes of last board meeting
|Glen||Make Google folder for director minutes||ASAP|
Approval of financial statements
Operations update - Mike
- Online store is up.
- Belejeb reports online sales are 40% of total sales.
- Belejeb has question about shipping.
- Warehouse still purging.
- More Volunteers return.
- Recycle drives with city of Vancouver are coming up, pending Covid restrictions.
- Greenest city grant are planning first virtual repair cafe.
- Lighting in the warehouse. $580 for partial fix, $760 for full replacement.
- Robert: bad lighting can be a liability issue.
- Mike: warehouse is Gloomy, hard to see.
- David: would like to see this in writing.
|Mike||write out a lighting proposal||Next meeting|
- Samantha: how is the virtual cafe being promoted?
- Mike: each organization will be promoting on their own social media.
Financial update - Jordan
- Jordan gives financial report.
- Samantha: Belejeb said it was busy in January, was that sales or donations?
- Mike: that was sales, but we had a lot of donations as well.
- Mike: do you still want to see Belejeb's weekly summary? As you can see it on Helcim.
- David: would like to still see the summary.
- David: could help Belejeb to make spreadsheet that overlays 2020 with 2021.
Online store update - Glen
- Sale launched Sunday.
- Awaiting transition to store. subdomain
- Using ‘FG Custom Build’ for custom-built desktops for now.
- Will ask Helcim to address other wishlist/issues after subdomain transition complete.
- Glen: there is a feedback form in the store and shipping its the number one request.
- Samantha: we would need more info on how many requests, plus our expense.
- Mike: We would like to keep it tightly local.
- David: issue would be standards in packaging.
- Table item for next meeting (shipping).
In camera topic
- Discussion held.
Staff liaison position
- Robert has volunteered to take on the staff Liaison position.
- Directors will be more removed from daily business and no longer CC’d on staff emails unless they opt in.
- Board will only pre-approve new staff hires based on budget
- Staff will if the hire is approved form a hiring committee and choose a new employee.
- Staff can make purchases under $500 or in budget without board approval.
|Board||approved above items by consensus||now|
- Mike: would like to be no longer the message board from staff to board.
- Robert: You have to let staff know they can contact the board directly, or relay it through the Secretary.
- David: Mike are you the supervisor?
- Mike: Since staff have come back they look up to Mike as their leader.
- Robert: Mike is a Lead rather than a manager.
- Jordan: The board needs to have a HR role that staff can report to.
|Board||Workout resolution path for staff issues||no fixed date|
Governance update - David
- David has been looking at everyone's comments on the online Policy.
- Discussion on term lengths. Change to One year term with renewal.
- Discussion on staff representative and executive manager, change wording to make it clear they are not on the board.
|David||will draft a revision the Policy||Next Meeting|
- Glen: when this is accepted by the board then it will go onto the membership for final approval?
- David & Robert: yes.
Controls and Directors liability - David
- Sent a link out from the Government about potential risks for non profits Directors.
- Jordan has looked at our controls with our accountant.
- Our accountant sent out a document about our financial controls.
- Jordan: there is no major risk of fraud, due to separation of duties.
- David: potential risks for directors would be liability for employee issues i.e. past due wages, and CRA obligations such as GST and employee remittances.
- Jordan: the biggest issue would be with HR.
Planning/strategy sessions - Samantha
Purpose Answer 2 questions:
- Which communities will we serve?
- How will we serve that community.
- Community (market) size and Definition.
- Community (market) Growth.
- Key Competitors.
- Macro-economic Conditions.
- Government Regulation.
- Stakeholders and Goals.
- Session 1: Research Summary and Discussion.
- Session 2: Mission and Vision.
- Session 3: Stakeholders: Define a compelling value proposition. for each stakeholder.
- Session 4: Implementation Plan.
- Session 5: Wrap-up and Review.
- Between Feb 15 and 2nd week in March.
- First step - assigning responsibility for the inputs
- Glen: is this more business orientated or more mission orientated?
- Samantha: if we don’t have feasibility then strategy only goes so far.
- David: maybe we should start with a white board session.