Directors Meeting - 2019-05-04
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Discussion
- Operational Updates
- Financial Updates
- Marketing/Social Media Committee Updates
- HR Consulting
- Charity Status
- Store Reports
- Defining Free Geek Vancouver
- Fundraising Committee
- Facility Needs Assessment
- We had one brownout which damaged a few computers and the printer in the volunteer coordinator area. We got a replacement printer from Mills, and attached it to a surge protector. For safety, we need to replace more power bars with surge protectors.
- Both exhaust fans have failed. One needs a motor replacement. This needs to be done before summer. Total cost to repair will be about $450.
- Extra bench areas added to the dismantle areas. Gives more area to work, and limits public access to warehouse.
- The evaluation area has expanded; Taya has been performing warranty repairs and miscellaneous testing. She has one volunteer who will be assisting her and Stanley.
- Adrian will be concentrating on desktop build rather than hardware grants.
- To expedite production, desktops will undergo two QC checks rather than three.
- There have been issues with service repairs where work was not properly completed. This will be investigated to see how it can be resolved.
- In the first quarter we had a net positive of $1600, compared to $10,000 for Q1 2018.
- Sales have been a bit lower, and staff wages have increased.
- Need to balance expenses with revenue.
- Expenses need to be filed when they’re incurred, even if they’re not paid out immediately.
- We may be unable to afford CSJ students this year.
- The Board votes to put a freeze on hiring for any new positions in the next 90 days.
Marketing/Social Media Committee Updates
- Mimi is working with an outside group to create Youtube content.
- Mimi has found volunteers willing to assist with the creation of additional social media content and release it on a schedule.
- The new website is 98% done. Michele will need to finish copy for two pages. There is some outdated information that will need to be corrected before it goes live.
- Joel: We have a lawyer specializing in employment law willing to do some pro-bono work for us; however he has been very busy recently.
- Board votes to fill application for charity status and investigate if it is the right course for us.
- The application will be completed by June’s board meeting, where we will vote on whether or not to apply.
- If the application is approved, we will form an committee to develop the charitable foundation.
- The Board requests that the store provide a monthly report providing financial information, sales data, and production needs.
- Michele will discuss this with Mimi and Sara.
Defining Free Geek Vancouver
- In order to achieve charity status, attract donors and grant providers, and determine a future course for Free Geek, we need to define:
- Our mission statement
- Our core values
- Our vision
- What programs we are running
- Further discussion and planning to occur in the next month.
- The Board will contact staff and directors with the aim of starting a fundraising committee. The aim will be to run events that will generate additional funds.
Facility Needs Assessment
- I have a contact who may be able to help us find a better location.
- We will need to create a formal facility needs assessment.
- I will contact Jay and Zahra to obtain details.
- Due to the declining recycling revenue, we may need to change how we handle electronic waste.
- Brian to provide details of a downstream recycler that shreds material rather than recycling individual components, and ensure they meet our criteria for ethical recycling.