Directors Meeting - 2017-11-24
- Scott B
- Volker S
- Michele W
- Diane R
- Robert P
- Scott B
- Michele W
- Staff Attendance At Board Meetings
- Upcoming Meetings
- Mailing Lists
Staff Attendance At Board Meetings
- Robert: Can staff have a link to the polls the directors use to decide meeting dates, so we know when the next one will occur?
- Michele: I can share the link, and will email staff when we decide a date.
- Staff have decided to rotate who comes to Board meetings. More than one staff member will may show up if they have something to present.
- Can staff attend during in-camera discussions if it isn’t a conflict of interest?
- Scott: We will likely ask staff to leave during those times.
- Scott: Is there a way we can get more up-to-date financial information?
- Michele: I will ask Genevieve to send monthly reports on store income.
- Scott: Volker, do you want to send an email to Mahmoud to see if you can get more up-to-date financial information as well?
- Volker: Yes.
- Scott: I got a question from Siena asking when our 2018 operational budget will be completed.
- I am planning to spend a weekend in December doing it, and I’ll mail it out when I'm finished.
- I want to send an email to staff asking if there’s any specific out of the ordinary items that we anticipate a need for in 2018.
- Michele: Volker, I’ll send you my spreadsheet with info on store revenue over the last seven years, so you can see how it’s trended.
- Scott: I will have to decide a date for the next meeting with Siena.
- Michele: I will try to organize a staff-board meeting for January. At that point, it may be better to use it as a 2018 strategic planning meeting.
- Robert: We may want to close down all day to hold that meeting.
- Diane: Have we ever considered doing a newsletter?
- Michele: We’ve discussed having a monthly newsletter before. I think it is a good idea to keep our community up-to-date with what we’re doing.
- The marketing students from SFU want us to advertise a community organization, rather than advertising as as a store or a place to volunteer.
- They plan on putting up targeted advertising: ads for the store in Surrey and at colleges, ads for donations in areas like Brentwood.
- The current batch of SFU marketing students will be leaving, but they’ve offered to send us new students. The current ones will be volunteering their time.
- There’s a possibility that we may be able to open a kiosk at a community-based set of shops opening on Main St. Someone dropped out, and they’re looking for a "laptop kiosk". I am going to email them to see if we can also use it as a classroom.
- Volker: What would this cost?
- Robert: I don’t have an exact cost; there’s probably a rental fee involved.
- Scott: Please send out more information as you get it.
- Robert: We went to a volunteer fair at Fairleigh Dickinson university. They have programs on both technology and hospitality. They have an internship program, so we are speaking with them to see if we can have someone placed here.
- Michele: There was a suggestion to add an additional mailing list for emails about being sick, late, etc. Was there any discussion at this during the staff meeting?
- Robert: No, but we had people missing from the meeting today.
- Michele: I’ll talk to Adrian and Lucas and look into getting it set up. There haven’t been any objections so far, but I will double-check.
Proposed Date for Next Meeting