Directors Meeting - 2013-10-28
- 1 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
- 2 Reports
- 3 Forklift
- 4 Internal IT resources
- 5 Closed source software
- 6 Director category: volunteer recruitment and management
- 7 Signing authority for directors
- 8 Justin's request to resign
- 9 Credit card for staff
- 10 Non-profit /charity status?
- 11 Membership
- 12 Marcus' contract has expired
- 13 Staff roles & overlap
- 14 Staff handbook
- 15 What about the future of consensus at FG?
- 16 Moving
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Date: Monday, October 28th, 2013
Attendance: Alec S, Nigel C, Mike M, Brian M, Kricket, Karen, Tim, Robert P
- Internal IT resources
- Closed source software
- Director category: volunteer recruitment and management
- Signing authority for directors
- Justin's request to resign
- Credit card for staff
- Non-profit/charity status
- Marcus' contract expiry
- Staff roles and overlap
- Staff handbook
- Future of consensus at FG
- Marketing (Nigel)
- 5 volunteers for presentation at Britannia re: recycling; well organized but low attendance. Important to be there nonetheless. Some networking ie business improvement association.
- Went to Guilford on 17th (Brian & Mac); outreach/awareness for drop point/germinal satellite w/VanLUG and Ubuntu Vancouver. Will start up on more format basis in January. Availability of volunteers secured once a month.
- Anti-Harassment Lead (Alec)
- Attending staff meetings; it's useful
- Went over anti-harassment/bullying policy with staff; will follow up with Dave and Adrian; need to put on policy page and clarify two policies.
- Server move: November 10th will get started. Construction in place.
- Recycling Lead (Mac)
- Dave still off; going to know tomorrow how much longer. Mike F and Marcus are filling in. Laptops will become a problem; supplies low and no supervision downstairs. Mac will come in occasionally (twice a week?) to cover Dave while Mike works ::Nigel came by with coffee & donuts; volunteer appreciation.
- Last shipment of motherboards was a tad low. May not have another shipment before end of year. (Maybe well into January.)
- Deferred decision on forklift pending a new treasurer and Dave's return.
- We have a source for cheap racking but we'd need to buy it ASAP.
- Kricket will see if she has a better source in the next 48 hours. Otherwise Mac can go ahead.
Internal IT resources
- Allow attachments on the board list?
- Alec can ask Tyler what's involved for fg-directors – e.g. attachments in archive?
Closed source software
- In FG Portland, they're reselling Macs with MacOS on them. Maverick is now free.
- Need to reconcile with their principles.
- Do we have objections? What are they? What practical concerns?
- Mike M has Mac Powerbook. Linux works fine, but has to restart several times. Some problems.
- Tim: Costs Adrian lots of time.
- We don't sell very many; working Mac machines received <5 per month (guesstimate, as they aren't separately tracked)
- Not clear it's worth changing policy – borderline. Constraint is good, working donations.
- Many of the donations are PowerPC and won't run modern MacOS. No interest in doing more than scrapping those.
- Principles in membership are likely to be strong on the subject; suggest picking specific proposals to discuss
- Proposal would have to be run by the membership.
- COMMIT:Alec will contact Portland for clarity on FOSS principle.
Director category: volunteer recruitment and management
- Reviewed Kricket's resume
- Staff supports her addition to the board
- Nigel identifies high volunteer churn as a problem. Social events, incentives.
- COMMIT: Alec will contact Tyler to get her onto the mailing lists.
- Mike nominates Kricket. Everyone is happy.
- GST: Needs to be done by Thursday. :COMMIT: Tim can sign and take care of contacting Justin re: other signature.
- Propose adding Nigel to signatories, and giving Robert the safe combo. Karen will give Robert the safe combo, and Nigel knows how to get onto signatories.
Justin's request to resign
- Justin is interim treasurer while we replace him
- Nigel is scaring up candidates
- COMMIT: Alec will contact Scott and Mahmoud to see if they have candidates.
Credit card for staff
- Karen is willing to sign for it.
- COMMIT: Karen will contact Justin to see if he has an update on the paperwork.
Non-profit /charity status?
- Justin was working on the prep case.
- Alishams might be a good potential to take it over?
- COMMIT:Alec will inquire of Scott what John Wh did for us.
- COMMIT:Brian M will contact Ali to see how he feels about it.
- Robert met with Chris and got access to data.
- Need membership to be an attractive proposition. AGMs/EGMs not enough.
- Consider unifying membership requirements with discount requirements?
- Need to resolve paperwork problems before numbers will be reliable.
- COMMIT: Nigel will talk with Michael DuBelko about solving technology problem.
- Fg-general: Keep it open.
Marcus' contract has expired
- Dave will let us know tomorrow. It will be at least 2 weeks; suggest doing a month. :COMMIT: Karen will draw up the new contract after Mike contacts her. Uncertainty if he'll be in tomorrow.
Staff roles & overlap
- Deferred until Adam is present.
- Deferred pending Adam's attendance
What about the future of consensus at FG?
- Portland got rid of non-hierarchical structure. What about principles?
- Maybe the problem is strategic thinking. Maybe strike a beer-oriented committee? Informal?
- Invite Wayne? :COMMIT: Alec can do.
- Call it Board priorities.
- Supposed to talk about this in January per the AGM.
- Don't know who's on the committee.
- Interested people: Mac, Brian M, Tim, Kricket; input from Dave.
- Handicap access? $7k odd cost to remedy the existing building.
Next Board of Directors Meeting
Date: Monday, September 30th, 2013