On this page you will find a draft for content of director orientation.
It will be a full day comprising of:
- Orienting directors to the internal operations of Free Geek, in case they are not already familiar. Some aspects of Free Geek operations may not be visible, even to a board of directors.
- Orienting directors to their new role and responsibilities.
- Orienting directors to the tools and resources available to them
- An opportunity to kick off social interaction between the directors
- Opportunity for directors to brainstorm goals to achieve during their term
- Helping the directors to feel comfortable (and useful?!) and "at home" at FreeGeek
- The history of the organization (Genesis) possibly including material about Free Geek Portland and the Free Geek franchise?
- The Free Geek mission statement - if it is not already very familiar. If it has evolved, how? The role of Free Software, waste recycling, and education at Free Geek.
- The responsibilities of directors, both according to legislation and Free Geek policies
- Key people and when and how to contact them- Staff, Support Volunteers, accountant, landlord.
- Organizational skills, such as how to call a meeting, what is consensus process, our monthly meeting process
- Walkthrough/introduction/training on the different volunteer stations, attend a volunteer orientation.
- Meeting with all FG staff.
- End-of-day wrap-up, including brief retrospective on the orientation (improvements for next time), and some goal setting for the directors. *Goals for how each director can contribute best to FG.
- Contact http://www.thevantagepoint.ca/ for board orientation resources. (Note: Updated link, Vantagepoint used to be known as "Volunteer Vancouver" )
- Explore resources at http://www.boardsource.org/
- See about resources at http://charityvillage.com/
- Contact Emily at SFPIRG and ask about content in their board orientation