Build Coordinator Posting
Free Geek http://freegeekvancouver.org is an environmentally-conscious, non-profit community technology centre. We have a new opening for a Build Coordinator.
The Build Coordinator will help design, implement and oversee a computer refurbishment training program at Free Geek. This program is designed to provide hands-on technical education to volunteers of varying skill levels, while providing refurbished computers to Free Geek's other programs and diverting usable hardware from the e-waste stream. More details on the Build Program
This position is part of a worker collective in a consensus-based organisation. All full-time staff at Free Geek receive the same wage, regardless of position or seniority. Current salary is $24,000 per year, averaging about 36 hours per week, no more than 40. Training will be paid and provided on-the-job.
Excellent medical, dental and optical benefits will be provided after 3 month trial period. The position comes with three weeks of paid vacation time per year, as well as one additional week off at the end of December (all staff are paid for this extra week if yearly financial targets have been met).
All Free Geek staff are subject to regular peer reviews. Near the end of the 3 month trial period, the successful candidate will undergo a peer review to determine their status as a permanent employee.
Free Geek is an affirmative action employer; please note however that the Free Geek facility is not yet wheelchair accessible.
- Develop, implement and support the Community Build Program
- Coordinate with other staff to maintain stock
- Standardise training
- Educate and mentor volunteers with an emphasis on interdependence
- Coordinate volunteer build instructors
- Provide regular feedback and oversee evaluation of prospective builders
- Ensure the standardisation and quality of built systems
- Collect statistical data related to the program, including inventory, dispersal, and volunteer resources
- Prepare reports
- Develop and maintain documentation
- Design and implement relevant workshops
- Communicate regularly with other Free Geek coordinators and participate in collective management structure
- Attend staff and relevant workgroup meetings
- Computer assembly and repair
- Familiarity with free and open source software
- Teaching/mentoring experience
- Ability to problemsolve/troubleshoot
- Attentive to detail
- Project management experience
- Excellent work ethic
- Organised, efficient approach
- System administration skills in a Unix environment
- Software development experience
- Quality assurance experience
- Human resources experience
- Knowledge of environmental issues related to electronic waste
- Current occupational first aid certificate
- Consensus experience
- Experience in non-hierarchical organisations
- Past volunteer experience at Free Geek and/or attendance of a volunteer orientation (every Wednesday and Saturday at 4pm)
The ideal candidate will be able to work well under stress in a somewhat chaotic setting, and maintain a positive attitude. You won't be afraid to ask questions but will be able to upkeep your responsibilities almost entirely without supervision. You will be able to remain flexible as Free Geek grows and changes. The scope of this position may expand in future.
How to apply
It is very important that this position be filled as soon as possible!
- The ideal candidate will be able to start immediately. Only interview candidates will be contacted and asked to fill out an application.
- The deadline for resume submission is Sunday, August 30th. Interviews will be conducted on Thurs. Sept. 3rd and 4th.
- Email resumes in plain text or PDF format to
hr =at= freegeekvancouver =dot= org
- Be sure to mention in the subject line which position you are applying for.
Alternatively, resumes can be hand delivered to the Thrift Store at Free Geek:
Free Geek Vancouver 201-1820 Pandora St. Vancouver BC V5L 1M5