Volunteer Meeting Minutes march 12th 08
Meeting: March 12 6:30-8:15pm Attendance: Megan, Chris H., Erik I., Christine H., Sumi K., Devenne D.
Check out: To do list and suggestions for next steps
We need more Support Volunteers!
- When a person graduates from the Adoption or Build Program they will enter into one of these streams: Adoption Buddy or Build Buddy
- After a Buddy period they will either become a Support Volunteer, a Build Instructor or remain a Buddy
- We need to improve the log of stations
- This will be further defined soon!
Support Volunteers will:
- Give tours
- Teach Adoption Classes
- Create more Support Volunteer Stations!!
- Improve class, include more hands on teaching practice
- Hold class once a month
- Have old Support Volunteers help teach new SV
- Make sure SV have current training of stations and have done Eval or Printer Testing once a month
- SV want to learn more about the recycling practices of FG
Volunteer Work Stations
- Chris will work on improving teaching boards! yay! :)
- Cleaning! We need more shelves and labeled bins
- Splinters! The table tops are rough, we need to seal them somehow
- Stools would be nice
- Better lighting
- 'End of your shift task list' needed for stations
- Terminals at some stations would be helpful, with interactive trouble shooting pages
- LCD testing: a better test pattern could be used to test for dead pixels
- A map attached to full bins would be great!
- Some stations could be called "Stress Relief Stations" all stations could have fun names like that
- Shadow boards would be useful for tools
- A 'Blitz' or 'Help' station might be useful
- There could be a Support Volunteer Station called the 'Moral or Culture Station' where the volunteer would be in charge of music, games and general moral, maybe combined with the help station
- Some stations could be modified or broken down more, for example EVAL is getting complicated, an advanced eval might be helpful
- Hardware identification teaching boards would be very very helpful!!
- Photo wall for Adoption Graduates
- Wall of appreciation for thank you cards would also be nice
- Brighter colours would be nice
- A cowbell would be fun
- Picnic tables somehow outside
- FG Facebook could use an uplift
- Quarterly Volunteer socials combined with Ubuntu release parties need an uplift: Include games, Geek Box Deco competition, collaborative mural painting, music & dancing
- Coffee! needs to be made more regularly
Free Geek Games
When we're up and running a little more smoothly, a 15 minute break for fun would be great! Maybe draw straws and do a game a day.
Suggested Games so far:
- Flat Ribbon hula
- Power Supply bowling
- Hard Drive crush off
- Card sorting race
- White bag toss
- Logistics need to be figured out
- We need a better place for coats and bags
- LCD test pattern could be better to look for dead pixels
- Blinds might be useful at the build bench because the glare can be disruptive
- The wiki could have a culture page, with haikus and feedback forms
- The Announcements board needs to be more visible, maybe on the door or above the sign in sheet
- The kitchen could be used as a classroom space if it was expanded and closed during certain hours, or even just as a work group meeting space the way it is with known open and closed times
- We need a general 'Clutter Island' sorting table for odds and ends
- Public computers should be better advertised, also they should have instructions for use on the desktop, the public phone needs a sign too