Staff Meeting - 2009-07-31
Attendance: Jamie (facilitator), George (scribe), Ifny, Patrick, Jessica, Jamie, Alisham, Dennis, Justin, George
Pre-meeting Staff Report
None/Merged with Agenda
Business from last meeting minutes
Adoption boxes / Peripheral Specification
- Miscommunication in terms of specs, workshop organizing, prep etc
- So we are standardizing specs:
- Optical mouse w/ 2 button + scroll
- Preferably PS/2; if not, USB
- No need to test them before hand since we can just swap them.
- Keyboard:: Any, but preferably PS/2. If not, USB.
- Speaker: Standard Stereo (no subwoofer)
- Preferably NOT crappy, with AC
- Monitor: Any CRT, as long as we have them.
- Color (of machines): Anything that will be nice to them.
- Optical mouse w/ 2 button + scroll
- Important is to make them feel special and good (they are our volunteers)
- Workshop organizing/prep
- KB/Mouse is usually no prep. Patrick can prepare them on tues usually.
- Usually we do not have enough speakers. With planning will have all available by tues night
- (Suggestion): Maybe an adoption bins? Maybe pre-tested and pre-sorted (also makes them feel better, instead of telling them they cannot have it.
- Also make staff/volunteer easier instead of 25 minutes to get everything.
- Suggestion: Move to old bench due to traffic
- Suggest builders to clear out the bench on tuesday.
- We are to clear build bench at T-30.
- We have a adoption class on Aug 1 morning and Aug 5th.
- If there are stuff out of stock in store, write an email.
- May have longer period BUT have better record.
Technical Support/ Policy Refresh
- Reminder: No walk-in tech support.
- If they are adopter/Bought machine, maybe.
- If laptop: direct to Hackery
- Our mandate is tech support on Windowless Wednesday only.
- It is hardcore, but we must stick to our message.
- If anyone is asking for tech support BY store cordinator's name (patrick now), call him to reconfirm.
- Also phone other person as well if we do anything by a staff's name.
- Also, train volunteers on answering the warehouse (receiving) phone
- Try to do it when the interns are still here.
- Aug 14 or Aug 21?
- Probably Aug 21.
- One director + 2 staff (or more)
- Tyler, Alec
Strange phone calls
- History: On Aug 29, some one is making a threatening phone call to FG, been approaching different staff to get a certain laptop, and is piss off due to that we do not have it.
- Persistent and directly called to everyone's cellphone.
- Did not mentioned his name.
- Solution: Direct call to Iffny. Try to minimize contact
- Also: If someone demand to speak with boss/manager, RED FLAG.
- Any problem, forward to Iffny.
- Aug 1: Set up for wednesday
- Especially for adoption class
- Not just clearing the benches: There are wires which is just confused
- Also: label the shelving of the computers (since they are wrongly label)
- There are serious OHS issue in mezzanine
- Plenty of junks in corridor
- Mainly is that people did not have the adoption box till 11:45
- For horizontal stuff: Steve can get them
- In any case, we should not make them wait.
- Aug 4: NO WORK (BC day)
- Aug 5th:
- Adoption class
- About 4 adotpers
- Windowless Wednesday
- Interns, Steve (linux), patrick(hardware), Iffny will be there. Jessica for babysit??
- Since It's james first day back, Jessica will be off instead
- Steve and Patrick will do Babysit?
- Maybe Jessica come in late (so she can do babysit?)
- Overtime paidment (interns): Yes?
- Adoption class
- Aug 6th: Radio Canada will come in.
- Aug 14th: A movie shoot nearby at alley Starting from 17:00 to night time
- May have difficulty for parking, etc.
- Craft service?
- Maybe inside.
- HR meeting: Every wednesday at 18:15.
- When around volunteers, NOT gossip about other volunteers
- Minimize trust.
- If one must do it: Praise in public, criticize in private
- Volunteer information IS employment information (Confidential)
- The word “orphan” - not good.
- What if there are tours/adopters that ARE orphan?
- HR suggest not to use “orphan” anymore.
- ”Adoption” is okay.
- Steven suggest “Donated”
- HR commitee: Ifny, Patrick, Jane, Alex, Ashley
- So will be rotating staff per meeting
- Anyone can ask for review at anytime.
- Suggestion form HR:
- One from HR, and someone who they work closely.
- Also, for review, the staff can refuse request.
- Moving review from 3 to 2 monthes
- Our hiring policy:
- 3 monthes is “probation”.
- HR suggest move to 2 monthes.
- Policy about staff-staff/staff-volunteer
- Portland: No.
- HR feel we do not need to a policy
- But a behavior guidline:
- Important for staff/volunteer
- Ensure woman feel comfortable (due to high male-low female ratio)
- Ensure have appropriate behavior
- Also, a right to be loved (and give consent)
- Also, daters should not be on review panel
Events on September
- Jessica will be in UK in September 29th.
- Jane will be going to UK September 9th.
- Back on 19th.
- So: For Jessica: Get some interns to train up some volunteers as support volunteers.
- Going to be a huge part to take a workload off Jane/Jessica.
- Thoughts from HR
- Cultivate support volunteers
- Also: temporary intern/hiring? Open hiring?
- Interim is usually ad-hoc/emergency
- Erasing whiteboard
- Alisham and other interns go to review/documentation
- Clean up for adopters and Windowless wednesday.
- builders are to clear build bench at T-30 the day before workshops and classes (eg: 17:30 at Tuesday)