Open Meeting - 2016-01-12
- Facilitator: Mike F
- Scribe: Michael D
- Anna K
- Brian M
- Brian W
- David G
- Jeff W
- Mac M
- Michael D
- Michele W
- Mike F
- Monika D
- Roxana K
- Stanley W
- Trevor M
Mike F: These meetings will be loose, and will be more about discussion than rigidly sticking to pre-assigned topics. For starters, we'd like just a list of topics to talk about, and we can just let it flow from there.
- Political Friends
- Volunteer Satisfaction
- Online Scheduling
- Skills Database
- Open Meetings Structure
- We need help from: corporations, parties, political districts.
- We need to develop a solid history of ourselves, and a plan for the future—a unified story.
- It needs to be easy for anyone to successfully pitch FG on our behalf.
- There should be a presentation built, and made into the Board's position statement:
- Where are we now?
- Where have we been?
- Where are we going?
- This should be on our website, and it should be what's sent to political entities, media outlets, and other sites.
- Big demand for online scheduling.
- The telephone system is a disaster.
- Consider email scheduling?
- Request for better volunteer rewards: 80GB HDs are too low.
- Request for option for volunteers who already have computers: volunteer can grant their computer, in their name, to an organisation or individual or their choosing.
- Open Source packages are available.
- Online scheduling will tremendously benefit volunteers who already have frequent internet access over phone or in-person access.
- The scheduler would need to be as simple as possible, or we risk creating even more software assistance work for staff.
- Possible short-term goal: make online scheduling available to build/laptop volunteers as a trial run. Would be least disruptive and they would benefit the most.
- Volunteers' pre-existing skills are underused. There needs to be a way to catalogue them and create workgroups to work on projects.
- Examples: Marketing skills, business skills.
- Volunteers would need a leader or a manager for the project: will be tricky without staff supervision.
Open Meeting Structure
- Would be very nice to have remote meeting participation. Some volunteers need to drive huge distances to get to FG.
- It might be worth considering something like a Twitch stream, where remote volunteers can type in questions/suggestions, to minimise disruptiveness of having teleconference calls.
- Microphone setup will be tricky.
- Title for the meetings: Open Community Meetings?