Monthly Meeting - 2013-07-09

From FGVwiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Public meeting minutes for Tuesday, July 9th 2013 at 6:30pm
Location: 1820 Pandora Street
Previous: Monthly Meeting - 2013-06-11 | Next: Monthly Meeting - 2013-08-13


Contents

Introductions

Attendance

Chris, Graham, Mike F, Brian M, Steve, Bernie, Tim A, William, Andy, Michael D.

Explanation of roles

Facilitator: Chris H.

Scribe: Tim A.

Consensus briefing

Consensus briefer: Chris


Reports

Finance

Nothing to report.

Budget

Nothing to report.

Grants

Nothing to report.

Operations

Build / Production

Mike F.: Adequate stock of SATA drives due to substantial corporate donations. New and returning volunteers.

H & S

Mike F.: Laptop room is sealed and painted.

Warehouse

Girsim, new intern, helping in warehouse.

Software

Some talk of setting up remote desktop for purposes of technical support.

Volunteers

Michael D: Lots of cancellations, mostly due to weather. Will create calling list to call people when there are cancellations. Lots being done still thanks to regulars. Booked fully for July.

Outgoing

Store

$13.8k net.

Wholesale

$3.4k net.

HW Grants

Michael: Still slow. There is talk of calling NPOs.

Communications

Education

Nothing to report (though see Mike F.'s event).

Events / Media

Car-free day on June 16th, we got to talk to many people in the morning/earlier on, though Michael:the pole-dancing in the afternoon distracted attention completely away from our booth for about a 3 hour period. Our traffic reduced to about one person every half an hour while the dancing was going on. Many people, including our own booth, were too caught up in what was going on next to us to even notice us.

This distraction was actually part of the impetus for having the games at Epic: Adrian and I decided we should have something fun, flashy, and a bit loud to draw people in at future events.

Mike F.: Spent three hours at Charles Dickens elementary taking apart computers and talking about free and open source software. Beat the Geek was popular/fun. Also, collected a pallet of e-waste.

Intergalactic

Nigel is in Portland, expecting an update from him regarding their recent changes including no longer being non-hierarchical. Toronto has a new Executive Director, Ken Wood.

Staff / HR

Two new interns, one in the store (Sharada), one in the warehouse (Girsim).

Directors / Governance

Chris: Adam Wood is now the HR director. Is being immersed in directorship, leading HR committee.

Old business

Motion to pass the minutes from the previous meeting

Passed.

New business

Setting Date of AGM

Discussion

We have to establish the date of record 30 days before the meeting to record who is a member, and also request applications for membership as the registry has not been well-maintained over the last couple of years.

Present staff express a preference for not holding the AGM on a day off. Family day for most people, staff and volunteers. Concerns expressed about holding the AGM on a weekday evening also, especially for volunteers who are working full-time elsewhere. First two weeks of September seem best for everyone and is expected to attract a higher turnout.

CONSENSUS

September 12th, 2013. 7pm - 10pm.

Commits

Who: Chris.

Will do: Announcement.

By what time: In due course.

With what result: Notify membership.


Increasing Period of Director Terms

Effective as of the next convened AGM (2013), terms for board positions will be offset so that after this year, assuming everyone serves their full term for each position they are elected to, only half the board positions will be coming up for re-election at each given AGM.

Discussion

The various roles have been split more or less arbitrarily (though some justification given for combining knowledge and experience) for "senioring" certain board roles for the half term -- this could be changed. Further discussion revolved around legal considerations -- previous board meeting deferred to membership decision made today. Certain roles should not be combined (e.g. board facilitator and deputy). Also, the details of which positions are set up this way need to be hammered out more precisely.

CONSENSUS

Passed.

Commits

Who:Chris

Will do:Will present to board membership decision on this and notify Victoria if necessary, and hammer out the details re:roles.

By what time:Next board meeting.

With what result:Present an item for the agenda at the next AGM.


Next meeting

When: Tuesday, August 13th, 2013 at 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm

Where: Free Geek Vancouver, 1820 Pandora St., back door

Roles

Facilitator: Steve.

Scribe: Michael.

Personal tools