Monthly Meeting - 2013-06-11

From FGVwiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Public meeting minutes for Tuesday, June 11th 2013 at 6:30pm
Location: 1820 Pandora Street
Previous: Monthly Meeting - 2013-05-14 | Next: Monthly Meeting - 2013-07-09


Contents

Introductions

Attendance

Chris H., Mike F., Steve K., Nigel C., Bernie, Brian M., Justin D.

Explanation of roles

Facilitator: Chris H.

Scribe: Mike F.

Consensus briefing

Consensus briefer: Passed.


Reports

Finance

Budget

  • No report.

Grants

  • No report.

Operations

Build / Production

  • Far, far too many desktops. Need something to do with them.

H & S

  • Health and safety committee has met, June 8. Minutes will be posted on the Wiki. Major issue we're addressing is movement of air in the warehouse for the summer. Brian M. is looking into possible solutions.

Warehouse

  • No report.

Software

Volunteers

  • Volunteering is steady. Will have no shortage of help during the summer. Need better ways to encourage volunteers who won't make it to shifts to call in and cancel.

Outgoing

Store

  • $16.4 K Net.

Wholesale

  • $6.1 K Net.

HW Grants

  • Very, very slow. One every 2 weeks.

Communications

Education

Events / Media

  • Car Free Day. Commercial Avenue 11 am to 7 pm. We have a booth. Registration cost $25. Tim, Michael, Arielle, Nigel will be staffing our booth.

EPIC – Sustainable Living festival in Burnaby. Our registration was free. We'll be taking a white bag and collecting E-waste.

Intergalactic

  • No report. Nigel is planning a trip past Portland this summer and will spend a day at Free Geek there.

Staff / HR

  • No report.

Directors / Governance

  • Intending to have the AGM this Sunday June 23 at DharmaLab next door. Developing a system for staff to make authorized purchases is ongoing.

Old business

Motion to pass the minutes from the previous meeting

Name of agenda item

Short description of proposal and/or...

http://example.com/link_to_proposal_in_mailing_list_archive or Name of proposal page in wiki

Mailing list concerns and relevant discussion:

http://example.com/link_to_concern_in_mailing_list_archive or Link to discussion on the wiki

Discussion

  • Meeting discussion
    • Related detail

CONSENSUS

Who:

Will do:

By what time:

With what result:

Name of agenda item

Short description of proposal and/or...

http://example.com/link_to_proposal_in_mailing_list_archive or Name of proposal page in wiki

Mailing list concerns and relevant discussion:

http://example.com/link_to_concern_in_mailing_list_archive or Link to discussion on the wiki

Discussion

  • Meeting discussion
    • Related detail

CONSENSUS

Who:

Will do:

By what time:

With what result:

New business

Volunteer Rewards Committee Proposals

  • Prop 1 - Raise the specs on adoption boxes: push it from Pent 4 to Pent D (already in practice) to low-end Pentium Dual-Core (as available).
  • Prop 2 - Give store vouchers to purchase items on a trial basis. Vouchers would be $50. This would be another option for volunteers who do not wish to get the adoption box at the end of the 24 hours volunteer time. There has been concern raised about assigning monetary value to 24 hours volunteer work. Vouchers would act like gift-certificates: no cash value. FG Chicago has done this for some time now. Scott has committed to check if there will be any legal ramifications in BC to this proposal.
  • Prop 3 - Allow volunteers to reserve high-value or cool items in the Build area that are untested. Rationale: volunteers (especially in Build) get to see good items (video cards, systems), but can't purchase them until they're tested. Wholesalers are allowed to purchase anything, including untested items, thus taking items out of the stream before volunteers have a chance to buy them. Each reserved item would have a planned test date, pickup date, and expiry date on it. Will be marked with special masking tape. Michael and Adrian committed to setting this area up.
  • Prop 4 - Long-term volunteer rewards: Volunteers with 100 hours or more will be given a USB stick with FG engraving and a series of diagnostic software (maybe some distros), and a t-shirt. Karen will look into getting sticks with our name engraved on them. Michael has looked into this, but couldn't find any reasonably-priced engravers (~$12 for a 2GB USB). The sticks would also be available to Nigel and his marketing team for big donors/promotions. Volunteers with 500 hours or more would get something extra?


Discussion

  • Sense of the meeting regarding these proposals:

Prop 1 is OK, but is it sustainable at that spec? Prop 2 is a repeat of a proposal that has come up many times and been struck down because it violates labour and employment regulations in BC. Prop 3 – what are the limits? Suggestion – try 1 to 2 items per builder per month and see if that is sustainable. And....how will this be tracked? Prop 4 – proposed reward seems inadequate. What about a discount on store items that are currently not allowed, with limits on quantity – i.e. one laptop per year. What about a Hall of Fame?

The rewards committee needs some hard numbers on how many active members will qualify for the various levels, so we can determine what the financial cost of each reward may be.

CONSENSUS

Sales Coordinator Proposal

Increase warranty period to 14 days.

Passed.

CONSENSUS

Marketing Volunteer Proposal

Ask Michael to work with Nigel to create a Volunteer Marketing Lead Hand position who will work under the direction of the Marketing Committee.

When: Tuesday, July 9th, 2013 at 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm

Where: Free Geek Vancouver, 1820 Pandora St., back door

Roles

Facilitator: Chris

Scribe: Mike F

Personal tools