Monthly Meeting - 2012-09-11
Karen, Justin, Geoff, Mike F, Bernie, Jeffrey M, Chris H, Brian M
Explanation of roles
Facilitator: Karen Nygaard
Scribe: Tim Adkins
Income statement and Balance Sheet will be posted to wiki.
Build / Production
Geoff: Volunteers are up, incoming seems to be down.
H & S
Karen enquires about safety officer, seems to be Dave. Geoff is doing first aid on the 24th. Bernie asks about asbestos plan. Joint responsibility between us and the landlord. Scott is putting together a plan. Brian speaks of his knowledge on the matter. Karen commits to find out from Scott what's happening.
Michael: Dave is away this week.
Server rack is now running Ubuntu instead of OpenBSD. 12.10 is being released in the next few weeks, will still be installing 12.04
Not as solidly booked ahead as we were earlier in the summer.
Total 14k, 10% under budgeted target.
Michael: Have come to a standstill. We were going to give 20 computers to a Cuban school charity at the end of August, but they never followed through. I've contacted them and received no response. Chris H: How does the Cuba shipment square with the Basel Convention. Geoff: This is functional equipment.
Events / Media
Got a mention in the Courier. Scott is making a grant application to the city, backed by FGV, to create artwork from city waste.
Staff / HR
Michael is down to part-time. Mike F is up to four days a week. Karen is working one day equivalent a week. The interns have left. There is some discussion amongst staff about creating a new position.
Directors / Governance
Chris: Just had a first meeting. Changed signers.
Motion to pass the minutes from the previous meeting
Passed by consensus.
Brian and Michael commit to drafting up literature about roles/duties/powers of OHN coordinator, then Michael will draft up literature covering Alec's full proposal and present it at the next meeting.
Michael: Here is what I've written. I can make it sound more legalese, but I've left it more reader friendly for you guys to parse. I wasn't able to get Alec's full proposal. I need to contact him.
The Open Help Night coordinator oversees Open Help Night. He is responsible for:
- ensuring that the client has his or her name and issue added to the intake board
- ensuring that the client is paired with a helper
- ensuring that the client's requests are within Free Geek's capacities, for example we're not likely to be capable of delicate hardware repairs like laptop LCD panel replacement and we don't have the ventilation for soldering
- ensuring that the client's requests are within Free Geek's policies, for example we don't do any closed source software help (ex. Installing a driver in Windows)
- ensuring that the client's requests are within the law, for example we couldn't help clients illegally acquire copyrighted materials
- coordinating between the client and the helper to ensure that no-one's time is being wasted, for example that the helper's attempts at meeting the client's requests have a chance of success
- enforcing the rules and regulations of Free Geek, including our anti-harassment policy (http://wiki.freegeekvancouver.org/article/Anti-Harassment_Policy)
- any client found repeatedly contradicting Free Geek's policies after having being informed of them, performing dangerous or illegal activity, or directly contradicting instructions by the OHN coordinator is subject to being refused service and/or refused access to Free Geek premises, at the discretion of the OHN coordinator
BC law is three unpaid days leave, but provisions for employers to increase at their discretion. Geoff: proposes up to five paid days leave for bereavement of immediate family (parents, siblings, children or spouse).
Chris H. commits to fleshing out the whole policy and running it by Sara.
Karen wishes to recognize Mills contribution.
Geoff: Yes, we get tonnes of stuff from them. Golden goose is mentioned. Karen: We should mention "kindness and support".
Karen commits to putting together the appropriate language.
When: Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 at 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
Where: Free Geek Vancouver, 1820 Pandora St., back door
Facilitator: Geoff B Scribe: Mike F