Monthly Meeting - 2012-08-14

From FGVwiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Public meeting minutes for Tuesday, August 14th 2012 at 6:30pm
Location: 1820 Pandora Street
Previous: Monthly Meeting - 2012-07-10 | Next: Monthly Meeting - 2012-09-11


Contents

Introductions

Attendance

Karen Nygaard, Alec Smecher, Christine Ho, Jeffrey Moncrieff, Chris Hooper, Anne Der, Nigel Cornwall, Mike Frost, Michael DuBelko, Bernie K, Brian Matheson, Mike McManus

Explanation of roles

Facilitator: Chris H.

Scribe: Michael

Consensus briefing

Consensus briefer: Alec


Reports

Finance

Budget

  • Nigel in talks with Geoff for forecast for rest of year, looking at adding more roles. One of them is a part-time bookkeeper, the other is Mike as a full-time employee. We will be $12000 overbudget with the approval of these positions.

Grants

  • No grants at the moment.

Operations

Build / Production

  • Michael: Slowed down a bit, mostly the same.
  • Mike: Steady building of laptops, lots of incoming today.

H & S

  • Tim got his First Aid, Geoff will soon.

Warehouse

  • Michael: Surge of incoming lately.

Software

  • Jeffrey: Trying to figure out what's wrong with the server rack today.

Volunteers

  • Nothing.

Outgoing

Store

  • Michael: Good incoming as before.
  • Tim (via email): "I did briefly have a look at July sales last week, and I can report that--for the first time this year--we were slightly (<3%) under budgeted target for monthly total, net sales. This we can account for mostly due tothe seasonal slowdown of incoming hardware and customers."

Wholesale

  • Nothing.

HW Grants

  • Grant for 20+ computers for an organisation sending to Cuba at the end of the month. Need to coordinate with build as to how to proceed.

Communications

Education

  • Nothing.

Events / Media

  • Nothing.

Intergalactic

  • Nigel: Have an idea with Mike M to visit Portland in September to get some ideas about their operations.

Staff / HR

  • The interns are awesome.

Directors / Governance

  • Nigel: Haven't had a meeting yet
  • Anne: August 30st is planned for 1st.

Old business

Motion to pass the minutes from the previous meeting

Couldn't pass, because network was down and minutes were unavailable.


New business

Banning Policy

Discussion

A policy for banning individuals from Free Geek. http://lists.freegeekvancouver.org/pipermail/fg-general/2012-July/002608.html

  • Jeffrey: need a video camera in the store.
  • Alec: there has been controversial discussion on this before.
  • Brian: there has been many changes over the past few years regarding surveillance laws, would be advisable to learn them before potentially committing to decisions that aren't legal.


  • Alec's proposal for new ban policy:
    • As outlined on the mailing list. A structure where staff are allowed to ban individual on two grounds:
      • 1) Dangerous/illegal behaviour.
      • 2) Repeated, bad/inappropriate behaviour over time.
    • Pros: Would leave a paper trail. The main goal is to address dangerous/repeated behaviour, especially from volunteers.
    • Cons: Doesn't address keeping track of theft in the store over time (no pictures, hard to get names of offenders, etc).
    • Still needs to be fine tuned.


CONSENSUS

  • New policy passed.


Free Geek Etiquette

Discussion

- FG policies include a Public Forum Code of Conduct and Netiquette - there ar also FG policies on anti-harassment and anti-oppression

- it might be possible to tweak an existing policy to address the concerns - there could be common sense rules on FG Etiquette (not just Netiquette)

Volunteers at Free Geek Vancouver have the chance to develop their social network through personal friendships, business contacts, and professional relationships.

With this opportunity comes responsibility.

- If you meet someone at FG and want to keep in touch, don't ask them for their personal contact information. Rather, provide them with your contact information. - It's OK to ask someone you meet at FG for their business card. - If you are networking at FG for business purposes that's fine. Make it clear that the services you provide do not come under the FG umbrella

This social and professional etiquette policy applies to: - everyone at FG (staff, members and volunteers included) - FG premises and all off-site FG events.

  • Chris: Mike was writing about the issues about volunteers offering after-hours help for OHN.
  • Anne: Has problems with his proposal due to unclear wording. Proposal should be a guideline instead?
  • Michael: From staff's perspective, it's ultimately consenting adults interacting. We can't control interations, nor should be responsible for them.
  • Mike M: Never seen anybody being pressured to give their phone number. We don't always know whether it's happening.
  • Christine: Should add something to the OHN sign-in sheet.
  • Mike M: Need two sheets, one for helper, one for helpee.
  • Brian: Intimidating for helpees to sign agreement.
  • Jeffrey: we should rethink the Windows policy.
  • Alec's proposal:
    • That there be separate a sign-in sheet for helpers/volunteers, and a disclaimer/agreement for clients, that clarify the roles of clients and helpers/volunteers as well as the responsibilities of helpers/volunteers, and that outline the liabilities of accepting help at FG, and that any help offered on premises is not the responsibility of FG.


CONSENSUS

  • Alec's proposal for the proposal was passed.


Commits

  • Brian and Michael commit to drafting up literature about roles/duties/powers of OHN coordinator, then Michael will draft up literature covering Alec's full proposal and present it at the next meeting.


Next meeting

When: Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 at 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm

Where: Free Geek Vancouver, 1820 Pandora St., back door

Roles

Facilitator: Karen Nygaard

Scribe: Tim

Personal tools