Monthly Meeting - 2010-11-09

From FGVwiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Public meeting minutes for Tuesday, November 9th 2010 at 6:30pm
Location: 1820 Pandora Street
Previous: Monthly Meeting - 2010-10-19 | Next: Monthly Meeting - 2010-12-14


Contents

Intro

Attendance

  • Ali
  • Mike
  • Justin
  • George
  • Chris
  • Jordan
  • Jessica
  • Sherri
  • Steven
  • Luke
  • Reegan
  • Devenne
  • John W
  • Stacey W
  • David C
  • Bernie

Roles

  • Scribe: Luke C
  • Facilitator: Steven
  • Consensus Briefing: Steven


Reports

Finance

Luke: working with accountant to start generating reports directly from bookkeeping software, because generating them as we have been is too labour-intensive. Overall, we are in comfortable shape financially.

Sales

Luke: around $600 average daily gross at the store.

OHS

Mike: Good overall, hasn't seen any scary incidents. Mike will be taking First Aid course.

Pickups

Mike: Doing them on a case-by-case basis. About 3 in the last month. None through Argus in the last month.

COMMIT: Jordan to follow up with New West City Council about large-scale donations.

Recycling

Reegan: $2500/m via North Star

Trying to get an answer from BAN about moving toner recycling to Clover Recycling (in the US)

Software

None

Volunteers

Jessica: We have exceeded 3000 volunteers, incoming is low so volunteer numbers are great. As incoming increases we will need more hands. Happiness seems very high.

Wholesales

Luke: About $2500 in the last month. Working on getting procedures figured out.

Store

George: Customers are happy. Trying to clean up. Policy confusion about technical support. Will be having meeting next week.

Staff/Directors

None

Outreach

Jessica: We have a shaw cable spotlight on us airing in December and the Media Coop is doing an article on us in their next release. Next week on Saturday we have an outreach event at the Vancouver Public Library.

John: From VanLUG. Wants to collaborate on Linux training and promotion between Free Geek, VanLUG, Ubunutu Meetup Group, VCN. Will liaise with Jessica.

Events

Chris: Attended lecture at UBC. Lots of interest in e-waste issues. Peter Klein did the lecture and mentioned Free Geek several times. Handed out tons of leaflets.

They have a video, plus extra raw footage that can be requested.

COMMIT: Chris to get video link and footage.

Intergalactic

None

Build

None


Agenda

ATM / Credit card terminal

Luke: looked into credit card terminal.

(Company name redacted) Setup cost of $50, annual cost $90, monthly cost $46, per transaction charges. .10 per transaction plus 1.79% for visa and mc, debit is .10.

Chris: what is to guarantee this company will last

Luke: They're an established company, and they resell services from an even larger company. Most of their value-add is based on analytics and reporting.

John: We're safe for financial demographic information. There are regulations and laws in place.

Luke: They also provide a nice GUI to get reports rather than from the terminal. The terminal needs an Internet connection. They can make it foolproof for our store such as auto batching.

George: Voices a reservation about credit cards. Worried about ID theft or large purchases.

Mike: We only need to ask for ID

John: Yes, no ID, no purchase on CC

George: What's the point of the ID

Luke: Can I suggest we look at the procedures that they give us? They have procedures in place already. Rather than worry about it now, we can put it into proactive that is relatively risk free.

Luke: Again proposes to pursue the terminal. Pending on implementing all the procedures that make it safe.

Devenne: This Web GUI is closed source

Luke: Yes but we can access it with an Open Source computer. The banking infrastructure is also closed source.

Stacy: Does this company offer any support? Because we switched to a different company's system and it didn't work.

Luke: Yes, they also supply an imprint machine for backup purposes.

WE HAVE CONSENSUS. Luke is going to put the terminal in place.

New Staff Policies

Luke: this is a new policy and handbook to make payroll vastly simplified. Luke proceeds to go thru handbook.

Staff Handbook-Proposed

Luke proposes to put the new policies into effect.

WE HAVE CONSENSUS!


Bylaws work-group

Bylaw Goals

Enrolment

  • Jessica: Need a way for people to become members when they can't come to meetings due to wheelchair inaccessibility.
Proposed
  • One must first become a volunteer (including orientation, registration, get a volunteer number)
  • Attend a monthly general meeting where registration forms will be available
  • If either of these are not possible, one can apply directly to directors

CONSENSUS

Good Standing

Proposed

Members are in good standing if they've volunteered 12 hours within the last 90 days (including meetings). If there is something preventing them from being on premises, they can arrange a project off premises with staff and directors instead.

CONSENSUS

Note: FGDB is currently not working well enough to track volunteer hours. We would need to fix this.

Ceasing Membership

Proposed

No change to existing schedule B wording:

Any person will cease to be a member of the society:

  • by delivering his or her resignation in writing to the board of directors,
  • on his or her death or,
  • on being expelled, or
  • on having been a member not in good standing for 12 consecutive months.

CONSENSUS

Expulsion

Proposed

No change to existing schedule B wording:

  • A member may be expelled by a special resolution of the members passed at either an AGM or EGM.
  • The notice of special resolution for expulsion must be accompanied by a brief statement of the reasons for the proposed expulsion.
  • The person who is the subject of the proposed resolution for expulsion must be given an opportunity to be heard at the general meeting before the special resolution is decided.
  • The person who is the subject of the proposed resolution must "stand aside" during the consensus decision and cannot block.

CONSENSUS

Note: several attendees pointed out that there may be an incompatibility with consensus decision making, and that we will need to be careful that the process for expulsion is consistent.

Official electronic communication

CONSENSUS as written

Non-Functional Hardware Sales Agreement

Non-Functional Hardware Sales Agreement

  • Luke: Should have one for individuals, and one-person businesses
  • Mike: Do we give store credit for the e-waste they return? Luke: No, because they will have bought it understanding the risk, and it will be priced accordingly.

Proposal: Accept the proposal tentatively, but require the following before enacting it:

  • Full procedures documented, including audit, and keeping track of who has been accepted
  • Procedures for tracking what has been bought/sold
  • Written in such a way that individuals can participate

CONSENSUS

Hard Drive Wipe

Mailing List Thread

  • Stephen: Should still do 2 passes as a burn-in and thorough test. John agrees.

Proposal: Change hard drive wiping from 4 to 2 passes.

CONSENSUS

Commits

  • Jordan to follow up with New West City Council about large-scale donations.
  • Chris to get video link and footage from Peter Klein @ UBC
Personal tools