Monthly Meeting - 2010-08-10

From FGVwiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Public meeting minutes for Tuesday, August 10th 2010 at 6:30pm
Location: 1820 Pandora Street
Previous: Monthly Meeting - 2010-07-13 | Next: Monthly Meeting - 2010-09-14


Scribe: Alec

Facilitator: Ali

Regulator: Jessica


Attending: Alec S, Rick, Mike McM, Chris H, Bernie, Jessica, Luke, Jax, Shayne, George Wong, Kim, Devenne, Regan, Ali, Bill McG


Consensus Briefing: Ali


Contents

Reports

Directors (Luke)

    • Not much to report
    • Discussion has moved onto the Operations list to encourage participation
    • Directors' list, and increasingly staff list, will be used less
    • Need feedback on keeping a balance between openness and strategic competitiveness on the mailing lists
    • Directors deleted some posts, as noted on the mailing list; invite reposting of any babies that were thrown out with bathwater

Build (Kim)

    • Desktops moving downstairs at better pace
    • Require more competent builders to feed store
    • Grants suffering from lack of building
    • Laptops suffering because Kim can't be in both places at once
    • Question (George): Who trains on laptops? Do we have enough volunteers?
    • Kim: Just myself and Tyler work on laptops. Not enough time. Not enough volunteers.
    • Alec: Do we have numbers on how many we're building and where they're going?
    • Kim: Not yet.
    • Shayne: Will be finishing stations and beginning build program; will be able to co-train with someone.

Health and Safety (Jessica / Jax)

    • Two first aid people: Regan and Jessica
    • Jax: Fire equipment is beyond its inspection date. Propose that one of staff or directors (or volunteer) could take extinguishers out for inspection on a day when FG is closed.
    • Mike: If Jax can get the prices, I can help.
    • Jax COMMITs to getting pricing info out to the operations list; will enlist Mike for help.

Pickups (Mike)

    • We stopped doing pick-ups months ago; in the last 3 months there have been a small number of pickups here and there with 3rd party transportation.
    • Agenda item to discuss pick-ups commencing again as a program.

Recycling (Mike / Regan)

    • Mike: Metal recycler came by on Saturday; he provided some specifics on more things to send for more money
    • Mike: Power supplies, plastic fans, aluminium (e.g. HDDs).
    • Regan: Hard drives are still a question mark.
    • Jax: Have heard that he found someone for HDDs. Do we know who?
    • Mike: Yes, but it fell through. Still shopping for details.
    • Rick: Margins are thin. Middleman will never make much money.
    • Mike: One part of a typical HDD (spindle?) might be problematic; don't have tools.
    • Jessica: If we take on an additional recycler, what are our BAN oblications?
    • Jax: Research. Would need to make sure this gets done.
    • George: What happens to scrap laptops?
    • Mike: Encorp.
    • George: Wholesaler?
    • Luke: No wholesaler currently.
    • Rick: What about e.g. screens? Shredded?
    • Mike: Stored on a shelf.
    • Luke: Would like to see a way for these to get recycled, but this would be very difficult.

Software

    • Selling video games – had a big sale after the last meeting. Made ~$1k in addition to normal store sales for the day. Looked like we sold maybe half of stock. Still have lots.
    • Jax: High-value stuff went immediately; the rest has been very slow. Need to promote it, drop prices, otherwise blow it out somehow.
    • Shayne: What defines what moves and what doesn't?
    • Jax: Big mix, hard to define.

Store (Jax)

    • Store has been reasonably clean. People have been commenting on it.
    • Cleaning might have been overenthusiastic – store is a little bare of rare items. Would like to rebuild stock.
    • Sales have been good, though have been tapering off slightly; not sure why
    • If space concerns arise again, as is likely, need to keep talking about moving upstairs
    • George: Laptops – people interested?
    • Jax: Yes – several calls a day.
    • Jax: Have been fielding requests from wholesalers; have been filling them out one-off when non-controversial. Things e.g. like blowing out old RAM are no problem.
    • Luke: What defines hardware? Is it a store account? Buying batches?
    • Jax: Lots of similar items [Alec, humble note-taker, isn't sure if that was the answer]
    • Jax: Have been avoiding e.g. Selling machines to our competitors that we could be using. Doesn't make good sense.
    • Rick: Do we see repeat buyers?
    • Jax: Repeat wholesalers, yes. Repeat customers, yes, though not as much as used to be. Want to encourage long-time customers; helps spread the word. Lots of first-timers coming in and leaving happy; this is good news.
    • Jax: Have also inherited lots of problems and am trying to make people happy.
    • Shayne: Bought two mobos; returned one to get the other; probably wouldn't have come back if it wasn't for volunteer programs. Should try to be thorough in testing.
    • Rick: Dealing with used stuff; it's difficult for the store. Store is in tough situation because they are the face of the organization. Don't have professional tools, i.e. PCI testers.
    • Mike: Store is doing a better job not pissing people off.
    • Bill: Have dealt with other stores; have same problem.
    • Alec: Seven day period is the tool for used equipment that turns out defective. Use it.
    • Jax: Have been flexing seven day period; would like to consider extending it to maybe 14 days.
    • Luke: Daily average $700 gross sales thru store.

Volunteers (Jessica)

    • Jessica was away half the month; things ran well in the meantime
    • Lots of new volunteers; big tours.
    • Production has been good in warehouse; going through last of 7 CFS loads
    • Loads of build fodder
    • By this time next month, interns will be gone; thank them if you get the chance.
    • George: If interns go, who will fill in?
    • Jessica: Going to talk about it on operations list.
    • Two new interns started today (Aug 10th) – Kristopher and K... for 5 wks from CDI college

Finance / Budget

    • Luke: Posted a report to general last night (Aug 9)
    • (numbers available on wiki)
    • Recent good numbers can be partially attributed to the sale – also some buzz afterwards
    • Missing some sales data for past months.
    • Jax: Wholesaler figure is 0. Is it near 0, or actually 0?
    • Luke: Haven't done any sales on wholesaler accounts.
    • Jax: Have done sales that have gone through the till that are classifiable as wholesalers.
    • Luke: Have seen those come through, but doesn't make sense on spreadsheet we've been using. Rolled it into retail. Represents a few hundred per month versus several thousand in the past.
    • Jax: Getting wholesalers back up and running again represents the ability to hire.
    • George: What happens to the stock that we used to wholesale?
    • Jax: Some gets stockpiled; some gets sold in store; some recycled. Complicated.
    • Luke & Jax COMMIT to maintaining separate accounting of wholesaling and retail for the future.
    • Luke: Bad news: cash flow still severely negative this month. Lost $12k this month. Some anomaly expenditures account for part of this: last paycheques for terminated employees, pay in lieu of notice; those total $8.5k. Also PST and GST remits. Aside from those, we are roughly stable. Maintaining a $20k buffer on day-to-day cash flow. Need to push. Have been diligent about expenses.
    • Bernie: Craigslist?
    • Jax: Was doing ebay briefly. This would be worthy of an agenda item. Concerns about selling non-functional HW – not allowed to sell as e-stewards, except under strange circumstances. It's considered impolite to post as a business on Craigslist. Coordination also – if someone comes down and discovers their item sold, they're unhappy.

Grants (Luke)

    • At least 3 people are investigating grants; no progress; need to push it. Hope something materializes.
    • Ali: Envirofund grant comes up next month. Commit to getting application in.

Education (Ali)

    • WW has been going smoothly. Attendance can be from 3 to 7-9 people.
    • Jax: Have been directing lots of people to WW. Glad that we're doing it weekly.
    • Chris: Have had more volunteers than attendees on occasion.
    • Mike: Other times have had too few volunteers for some very tough problems.

Events & Media (Jessica)

    • Did “Under the Volcano”
    • Had excellent feedback from Aids Vancouver
    • Doing “Justice Rocks” (Pivot Legal) next week; all set up
    • CKNW played FG Advert this week twice; will send it out more broadly
    • Vancouver Public Library may have Jessica (or someone else) do a series of talks
    • Mike: Can you try BCTV news? In the past, that's brought a lot of people in.
    • Jessica: Jordan and I have been working on marketing strategy; it's on the wiki
    • Luke and Rick have been talking about the Ubuntu meetup group; might be a good liaison; possibly we can sponsor them. Maybe a thousand members plus broader network.
    • Chris: One of our volunteers (Kim K) is involved; may be already doing some of this. Also need to adhere to our current affiliation policy.
    • Luke: Money outlay is not a big deal.
    • Chris: Suggest discussing on the operations list and deferring until next monthly.
    • Rick (sort of kind of) COMMITs to moving this to the operations list.
    • Jessica: Talking with members of Linux Vancouver, Linux Chicks, ..., and ... about potentially doing workshops here.
    • Jax: Want to have more community groups meeting here. Gets geeky people into the space, also good to share.

Intergalactic

    • Since the tin foil hats went on, the voices have stopped.
    • Luke: Our mothership wiki page is pretty out of date. Ali COMMITs to updating it.
    • Shayne: FG Vancouver homepage needs to be updated more frequently.
    • Luke: Working on it. Not committing for next meeting, but working on it.
    • George: Curious how the other FGs are doing re: pickups. Not sure. Might be only a Vancouver thing.
    • Mike COMMITs to finding out what other FGs do for pickups.
    • Luke: Got a call from FG Toronto. They are interested in helping us, i.e. exchange of knowledge. He is putting together some questions; suggest we not actively pursue it, see what comes.
    • Luke: Would like to visit Portland.
    • Alec: Let me know when.

Staff

    • Nothing to report beyond what's been covered elsewhere.
    • Regan needs to wear more pink.

Old Commits

Not properly minuted after last meeting, or Alec is blind (also potentially true).


New Business

Volunteer Appreciation Picnic (Jessica)

    • Propose a picnic. Would like to do it in a park. Or J's house.
    • August 22nd proposed.

Reinstate Build Meetings (Kim)

    • Propose reinstating build meetings.
    • Kim and Connie have been updating wiki; whiteboard flow chart done by Jessica
    • Specs and documentation posted; updates continue
    • Would like to get the build instructors (and volunteers) together once a month.
    • Proposal: Third Thursday of every month 6:00pm.
    • Alec: Need to include Kim, myself, Brian K, Cecilia, Redhead Mike, Marianne
    • Jessica COMMITs to speaking to the build instructors before the 19th (which is the 3rd thursday).
    • Ali COMMITs to sending a message to general to announce.

Reinstate Pickups

    • Mike: Problems: Can't afford it; not enough space. Previously got stuck with a truckload of stuff and nowhere to put it.
    • Jessica: Proposal was Steve Jr's – if nobody here is able to champion it, we should shelf it.
    • Luke: Need to clarify what we mean about pickups. Through miscommunication, one of our clients heard that pickups weren't happening. Have re-established that. Also CFS. We will still consider arranging transportation under good conditions.
    • Chris: What about when people answer the phone?
    • Luke: That's the problem. Have sent a message out to clarify that point.
    • Mike: Could we have a sign at the phone desk?
    • Jessica: We have a booklet. I can COMMIT to updating it.
    • Mike: The form on the website still exists. Need to do something about it.
    • Regan: COMMITs to watching the pick-up form for interesting incoming.
    • Mike: COMMITs to getting Regan the info.
    • Rick: What about getting a photo of stuff before we commit? Cell phones all have cameras.
    • Jax: Suggest taking it to operations for consideration.
    • Bernie: Need more space? Less?
    • Mike: Volume has skyrocketed.

Cell Phone Sales & Recycling (Jax)

    • Have a ton of cell phones. Were previously doing this on a case-by-case basis; then set up more properly and started going to an outside recycler. Store occasionally sold; policy was unclear.
    • Sales in store have simply been suspended until we revisit data destruction policy.
    • Jax: Would like to be selling cell phones. Propose setting up a volunteer sorting procedure and moving acceptable phones into hands of staff or a suitable volunteer to do erase.
    • Luke: Do we need to amend our policy?
    • Jessica: Policy says we destroy data; that would be within our current policy.
    • Jax: Staff would need to handle it until we can train up on data wiping.
    • Devenne: Having it as a station for volunteers weirds me out; not FOSS, not teaching computers. Seems unusual. Like the idea of selling phones, but don't like having it as a volunteer station.
    • Bernie: Proprietary software?
    • Jax: Already selling video game consoles, routers, digital cameras, ... non-FOSS is everywhere.
    • Ali: COMMIT to working with Jax on documenting cell phone procedures.
    • Bill: Regarding antique cell phones. What about selling them somewhere else?
    • Jax: Not certain, but think downstream does reuse when possible.
    • Alec: Would be happy to working on cleaning data out of phones.
    • Chris: Still concerned about volunteers having access to data.
    • Ali: What about getting people who work on those signing something?
    • Jax: Sorting by external characteristics would help mitigate (i.e. brand, phone, ...); potentially quarantine?
    • Mike: Phones are like toys – volunteers gravitate to them.
    • Jessica: Proposes Jax & Ali pilot a month-long trial including sorting and data wiping to get phones into the store. Revisit next month. COMMIT.

Ali COMMITs to updating the meeting template.

Commits

    • Jax COMMITs to getting pricing info out to the operations list; will enlist Mike for help.
    • Luke & Jax COMMIT to maintaining separate accounting of wholesaling and retail for the future. (Finance/Budget)
    • Rick (sort of kind of) COMMITs to moving this to the operations list. (events and media)
    • Ali COMMITs to updating it. (intergalactic)
    • Mike COMMITs to finding out what other FGs do for pickups. (intergalactic)
    • Ali: Envirofund grant comes up next month. Commit to getting application in.
    • Jessica COMMITs to speaking to the build instructors before the 19th (which is the 3rd thursday). (reinstate build meetings)
    • Ali COMMITs to sending a message to general to announce. (reinstate build meetings)
    • Jessica: We have a booklet. I can COMMIT to updating it. (reinstate pickups)
    • Regan: COMMITs to watching the pick-up form for interesting incoming. (reinstate pickups)
    • Mike: COMMITs to getting Regan the info. (reinstate pickups)
    • Ali: COMMIT to working with Jax on documenting cell phone procedures. (Cell Phone Sales & Recycling)
    • Jessica: Proposes Jax & Ali pilot a month-long trial including sorting and data wiping to get phones into the store. Revisit next month. COMMIT. (Cell Phone Sales & Recycling )
    • Ali COMMITs to updating the meeting template.

Next Meeting

September 14th

Facilitator: Ali

Scribe: Jordan

Personal tools