Directors Meeting - 2016-03-22
- Rex B
- Nigel C
- Michael D
- Caelin M
- Chenessa M
- Nigel C
- Michael D
- 2016 Budget
- Ads and Marketing
- Thursday Morning Filming and Radio
- Conflict Resolution Proposal
- Monthly average income has been consistently increasing. The budget plans for a 40% increase in store revenue. Would need to sell roughly 600 desktops over the year. Michele very happy with having an assistant.
- Total spent on salaries will be roughly 40% over last year. Last year, we only spent 2/5 of our budgeted advertising allowance. We spent almost none of our outreach allowance.
- We've started to buy items to refurbish things that are missing key parts (HDs, batteries). Last year, $1500 spent on laptop batteries, added to cost of the machine being sold. Worth it, as the machines wouldn’t sell otherwise.
- Michael: Have we any deals going on with local retailers to buy parts at wholesale?
- Nigel: None at the moment, but I’ll look into it.
|Board||Consensus: Approve the 2016 Budget.||Now|
Ads and Marketing
- Nigel: Printing the bus shelter ads will cost at most $1500. Must be printed on special paper.
- Caelin: Spoken to multiple print places, received a gamut of costs. Met with person who designed our recent t-shirts to design some posters.
- Nigel: Two high-level goals with posters: get our name out there, and let people know what we do.
- Rex/Michael: I would like to see the tagline rewritten.
- Michael: We could use pictographs like some high-end designs you see on the Skytrain. “Idiot in a hurry”-type image association.
- Will be talking with designer on Friday. Final design due April 2nd.
- UBC survey we did found that most people knew about us by word of mouth.
Thursday Morning Filming and Radio
- Rex: On Thursday morning 10am-12pm, we will have a 2-hour window at a studio to record a 1-hour radio show, for the Saturday morning show called “Make a better world.” So far I have 2 volunteers and 1 staff who will help me speak. Cory will be filming an “Our Vancouver” segment for CBC that same morning.
- Michael: Do we have a list of terms to use/avoid?
- Rex: I will keep the show in check.
Conflict Resolution Training Proposal
- Chenessa: Staff and board have varied opinions on conflict resolution. We should all be on the same page about it. None of the staff have had training for it. I recommend engaging some conflict resolution training for staff + board.
- Nigel: Estimated cost?
- Chenessa: Estimated about $1000 per day.
- Michael: I think it would be a very good idea. Might want to consider writing in conflict resolution as an aspect of expected staff performance.
Proposed Date for Next Meeting