Build Meeting - 2010-08-19

From FGVwiki

Jump to: navigation, search
  • When: Thursday, August 19th, 2010 at 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
  • Where: Free Geek Vancouver, 1820 Pandora St., back door
  • Previous meeting:

Contents

Attendance

  • Alec
  • Russell
  • AliH
  • George Jr
  • Shane
  • KimM
  • Geoff
  • Jessica MP
  • Kirby
  • James
  • Christine H

Roles

  • Facilitator: Alec
  • Scribe: George Jr.

Review

  • Conduct by Alec
  • Build Always have trouble having consistency
  • Currently there are no full time staff or instructor on Build; Kim is only on for 3 days
  • we do not have much meeting due to transition between staffs
  • Now we rely more on volunteers, we will have more meeting
  • Where machine go from Build:
    • Mainly to volunteers in the form of Adoption - once a week (3 machines)
    • Sell them in the store
    • Grants
  • Question from Shane: Is there a loss of revenues when we give machines for Grants and adoption?
    • Alec answer: Trade offs is between store and grants

Build process

  • Builder build
  • QCer qc
  • Staff/Instructor Staff QC
  • Basically is about education, teaching people to build machines

Review Wiki

  • The reason why we use dot-sticker is feedback.
  • There should also be a complete trail for the build process
    • Eval, Builder, QCer, Staff
  • There should also be a machine sticker, which contains the machine number and is associate with the Builder's sheet in Build binder.
  • COMMIT: Alec plan to write a general preample of howto for the Wiki.
  • Regarding store in terms of Build
    • basically, what machine the store need - stocking
    • Feedback of store to build in regards to any problems
    • Write down the deficiency and use red sticker
      • Issue: Need to write down the name
    • Also, use the support volunteer to use as an intemediate between store and build
    • Hopefully will have better account of problems
    • Question raised: do we do technical support for our pruchase that gone wrong within the exchange/credit period?
    • Another issue regarding return mechandise: acoustic noise issues
    • If there's a problem, write it down on build sheet and send it up?
      • No, because return may not have the build sheet
      • Also need to be conduct in a timely manner. (less than 1 hour typically)
      • Make a photocopy of build sheet?
        • Or use the build sticker to track?
      • Sticker would work, or just scan it.
  • Proposal: Store will provide feedback of major problems on return machine on build mailign list. CONCENUS
  • Technical support will defer to Store discussion/list.

Review QC whiteboard

  • We have new build spec on the board (basically on wiki). refer to it

review config software

  • Lots of them are on Ubuntu.
  • We need to make it simple as possible.
  • May ask operation/Tyler to write it up
  • can also generate automatic report
  • Commit: alec will talk with Tyler about the config software

clean up of station

  • Tuesday, at end of night, is suppose to be clean up.
  • Today the build bench is very dirty. (possibly due to WW)
  • PROPOSAL: WW coordinator to clean it up themselves. Concensus

stats and tracking

  • Starts the day by cleaning the red dot.
  • Whether we loose too much revenue: we can do it by tracking.
  • Grants are being tracked
  • Store can track it with the receipt
  • We used to do tally count on binders
  • Commit: Discuss tracking of items in Store meeting
  • Commit: Alec: some paperwork to enable track stuff to outside of build. (eg where they go)

scheduling meetings

  • Jessica: Just call them?
  • Set the next meeting date now?
  • Commit: have a meeting once a month, 3rd Thursday

An intro to build orientations

  • Help teach new volunteers on procedures
  • We will do a one hour training. Once a week, on Aug 26.
  • Commit: Aug 26 Build Orientation. we will use this to determine if we have more.

COMMITS and PROPOSALS summary

  1. COMMIT: Alec plan to write a general preample of howto for the Wiki.
  2. Proposal: Store will provide feedback of major problems on return machine on build mailign list. CONCENUS
  3. Proposal: Technical support will defer to Store discussion/list. CONCENSUS
  4. COMMIT: alec will talk with Tyler about the config software
  5. PROPOSAL: WW coordinators and volunteers to clean it up themselves. CONCENSUS
  6. Commit: Discuss tracking of items in Store meeting
  7. Commit: Alec: some paperwork to enable track stuff to outside of build. (eg where they go)
  8. Commit: have a meeting once a month, 3rd Thursday
  9. Commit: Aug 26 will host our first trial Build Orientation. we will use this to determine if we shall have more.

Next meeting

  • Sept 16, 2010, 6:30 (Thursday)
  • Facilitator: TBA
  • Scribe: TBA
Personal tools