Annual General Meeting - 2015-08-20

From FGVwiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Annual General Meeting minutes for Thursday, August 20th, 2015 at 7:00pm
Location: Wise Hall, 1882 Adanac Street, Vancouver BC
Previous: Annual General Meeting - 2014-08-21 | Next: Annual General Meeting - 2016-09-08


Contents

Introduction

Attendance

Members in Good Standing

  • Rex Brocki
  • Joshua Chan
  • Nigel Cornwall
  • Christine (Kricket) Coyne
  • Rick De Looff
  • Mike Frost
  • Michael Guidi
  • Kim Kulak
  • Anna Knowlson
  • Chenessa Mok
  • Jodi Moncrieff
  • Karen Nygaard
  • Frank Perron
  • Robert Pilkington
  • Michele White
  • Stanley Wielgosh
  • Jeffrey Wingen
  • Adrian Wong

Members

  • Michael DuBelko
  • Brian Matheson
  • Mike McManus

Guests

  • Calum de Leeuw
  • Rob Hollins
  • Warren

Candidates

  • Rex Brocki
  • Nigel Cornwall
  • Christine (Kricket) Coyne
  • Michael DuBelko
  • Chenessa Mok
  • Jodi Moncrieff
  • Caelin McKenzie

Facilitator

  • Nigel Cornwall
  • Michael DuBelko

Scribe

  • Adrian Wong

Timekeeper

  • Michele White

Opening Remarks

  • Nigel: Welcome to the 2015 Annual General Meeting.
    • We're here to do two things: receive the Financial and Staff reports, and elect a Board of Directors.
    • The Agenda is on one of your handouts, with time allotted for questions.
    • Michele is timekeeper, Adrian is scribe, and myself and Michael D will be co-facilitators.

Explanation of Consensus and Voting

  • Michael D: Consensus is about tackling problems while receiving as much input as possible. It's a goal, not necessarily the result or process. We've moved away from 100% model to 75% super majority model. It's about even participation.

Reports

Financials

  • Nigel: Looked at expenses
    • Deficit of $38,000 (not counting $20,000 Hallmark shipment)
    • Retail sales are up
    • Production is up
    • See "AGM 2015 Free Geek Financial Reports" for full details
  • Jeff: Don't think financials are legal
    • Financials need to be signed by two directors
    • It's an offence

Staff

  • Mike F: This report covers period since last AGM
    • Staff Changes
      • Departed: Tim (store), Dave (shipping/receiving), Michael D (volunteer coordinator)
      • Added: Michele (store), Michael G (shipping/receiving), Nancy (volunteer coordinator), Robert (materials coordinator).
    • Physical Infrastructure Improvements
      • Hard-drive/RAM test cage, built by volunteer carpenters Dave W and John G – on budget!
      • Redirected server room ventilation. No heat-related shutdowns this summer.
      • Painting the kitchen, volunteer sign-in and dismantle/build areas. Many compliments, particularly from women volunteers.
      • Reorganized store layout, improving sightlines (for security), reducing clutter, making more space and grouping related items.
    • Software Changes
      • Trial of Macintosh OSX on Apple products starting May 22 2015. Very successful: in all of 2014 up to May 20 2015, sold 26 Apple Laptops and Mac Minis. From May 22 to date, we sold 35. And that's not counting IMacs.
      • Implementation of volunteer sign-in/sign-out system
    • Security Improvements
      • Security cameras in store, production areas, laptop build.
      • Lock down of remote access privileges to our servers. Admin access restricted to Tyler, Adrian, and Michele, with special access to specific areas for Karen, Treasurer and Secretary.
      • Lock down of access to Admin computer.
    • Administration
      • New key policy. Key inventory up to date, new sign-in and out sheet.
      • Office improvements: staff area: donated lunch table, chairs, fridge.
      • Donated file cabinet for securing sensitive documents.
    • Desktop Build
      • The Production Department has had great success in partnering with non-profit organizations, such as YMCA and Vancouver Community Network, who send us practicum students at little to no cost. These students are assets to the Production Department, as they can handle especially complex tasks and boost output significantly. We continue to nurture our relationships with these organizations and students continue to be sent to us.
      • Production has also experienced increased numbers of regular volunteer builders who have also boosted output.
      • The build area has been improved to increase availability and accessibility of parts, tools, and peripherals.
      • Build documentation has been improved to aid volunteer training.
      • Since the last AGM, 48 hardware grants have been disbursed to needy individuals and organizations. This amounts to 472 pieces of hardware including desktops, laptops, monitors, and other peripherals.
      • Since a year ago, specs of donated and built desktops have steadily improved. A year ago, i3, i5, i7 systems were rare with only one system built every 1-2 months. Currently, Production builds i-series desktops almost every week.
      • Since a year ago, specs of "adoption boxes" that volunteers earn after 24 hours have also improved. Boxes with Core 2 Duo 8000 series CPUs are now available.
      • Since a year ago, the use of DDR1 RAM, IDE hard drives, and 32-bit CPUs in desktop builds has dropped dramatically. Currently, they're used only in the odd "vintage" system.
      • For the past few months, Production has experimented with installing OS X on Macs. Installing OS X as opposed to Linux on Macs has greatly enhanced the efficiency of the build process and means more systems can be successfully refurbished.
    • Materials Recycling
      • Started a fast-track path for volunteers with high tech skills to get into desktop and laptop build quickly.
      • Created a permanent evaluation station area.
      • Evaluation sheets condensed to bare essentials.
      • Began “antique” evaluation, keeping and selling more antique hardware and games.
    • Laptop Build
      • Donation quality is up: more Core i3 and i5 machines, even some quad cores.
      • These figures are all monthly averages. Donations are up by 5%, production by 16%, wholesale by 100%. Hardware Grants have stayed the same. Our re-use rate is up, from 38% to 44%. Our return rate is down from 3.5% to 2%.
    • Receiving and Shipping
      • Have shipped as many shipments to Hallmark as of today as all of last year, with expectations for at least one more.
      • Recycling cellphones to same supplier as inkjet and toner cartridges. Cellphones pay at 50 cents for a dumb phone, any condition, $5 for a smartphone, any condition. And they pay the freight.
    • Thrift Store
      • October: began 90 day hardware warranty (laptop batteries excluded)
      • New procedure for wholesalers – they deal with Michael or Robert, fill out an item list, and Michele prices it. Saves Michele's time.
      • Improvements: store map, new signage, price tags on most items, laptop info sheets.
      • Fraud prevention: ID required for all CC buys over $50.
      • All inquiries to store go to email.
      • Advertising: targeted Facebook and Craigslist postings.
    • Volunteers
      • New paper scheduling system to streamline volunteers' toolbox checkout
      • End of year holiday party, December 2014, and Hot Dog Day, May 2015. Both awesome.
      • Volunteers are getting a weekly volunteer appreciation treat, usually baked goods, usually Saturdays.
      • Created a new volunteer position, Cleaner, which is rewarded double-hours with a $10 store gift certificate for each hour worked. We have received many compliments, especially from previous volunteers, on how much cleaner and nicer the place looks.
      • New builders recruited for desktop build area.
      • Found interns from CDI for desktop build and laptop build.
      • Community relations events: Telus “give where you live” volunteer crews on three days, and Samsung employees for two days.
      • VSB field trip where students came to Free Geek for a day and volunteered for an afternoon shift.
      • Received two Certificates of Appreciation, from Douglas College and VSB.
      • Received flowers from our contact at CDI.

Questions

  • Jodi (interpreted by Kricket): (to Mike F) Why did you lock down the servers when people had access prior?
  • Mike F: Because there was an incident
  • Kricket: (to Mike F) Why didn't you follow policies and bring this to the membership?
  • Mike F: Security is not a membership issue, it's a staff issue
  • Michael: This is a question period, not a debate
  • Jodi (interpreted by Kricket): I had all the rights to be there
  • Nigel: This incident happened over 5 weeks ago, seems moot to bring it up at AGM
    • Jodi accessed a folder she doesn't normally have access to, changed the permissions so she could access the information
    • I received a report from the IT Coordinator who detailed breach and said that Jodi didn't need to have access
    • Jodi says she had access regardless
  • Jodi: I'm an IT person and I won't have anyone say I broke any laws
    • Slander
  • Michael D: We should move on to the next topic
    • (to Jodi) We've heard your opinion
  • Jodi: Slander, slander, slander
  • Michael D: This is an AGM, this is an issue among directors
    • If you're not going to treat us (Nigel and Michael D) as facilitators, this meeting may as well not happen
    • Any more questions?
  • Karen: Robert since joining staff part-time has logged over 900 hours of volunteering
  • Michael D: Has the addition of another staff helped?
  • Mike F: The difference is like night and day
    • It's relieved a lot of burden
    • The staff are happier and more productive
  • Jeff: You better watch it, you're going to get your asses in a sling with labour relations
    • If there's a complaint, the employment standards branch will convert those hours
  • Mike F: We checked this
  • Jeff: This is a bad practice
    • How many volunteers do we have?
  • Michele: Active or overall?
    • Overall, about 7300
    • In 2014 we had 700 new volunteers
  • Jeff: How many members?
  • Michael G: Trevor, the secretary has a list of members
  • Kricket: We gave people 2 days warning to get voting rights
    • Is that right?
    • That's seriously flawed
  • Jeff: What's happening with charity status?
  • Nigel: It's in progress
    • Have been working with our lawyer, but time has been diverted to other issues
    • Hoping to have it done within next year; we've had 6 months so far
  • Jeff: It's just been talked about a long time
  • Nigel: You're welcome to help out
  • Jeff: I'm just asking questions
  • Kricket: You're just going to shut him down like that?
  • Jodi: What other legal problems do you have?
  • Jeff: Do you have liability insurance?
  • Nigel: Yes
  • Kricket: (to Nigel) Why did you say I'm not covered?
  • Michael D: This is turning into banter
    • Staff are covered
  • Karen: (to Jeff) I can tell you what coverage we have

Director Selection

Candidate Introductions

Candidate List

  • Nigel Cornwall (Incumbent Boar Facilitator Lead, Incumbent Treasurer) - running for same positions
  • Rex (Incumbent Assistant Board Facilitator Lead) - running for same position
  • Kricket Coyne (Incumbent Volunteer Program Lead) - running for same position
  • Chenessa Mok (Incumbent HR Lead) - running for same position
  • Michael DuBelko - running for Secretary & Volunteer Program Lead
  • Caelin McKenzie - running for Marketing Lead

Introductions

  • Jodi: Would like to run for Director of Recycling and Treasurer
  • Kricket: (to Jodi) And anything, director at large
  • Mike F: We don't have that position
    • Reads list of nominees
    • We're only legally required to elect 3 positions
  • Michael D:
    • Should we give people a chance to speak?
  • Nigel:
    • Passionate about Free Geek
    • A lot of good people doing good things
    • Went to DTES, met 70 people who knew us, Free Geek has a great reputation there
    • Want to continue helping community and environment
  • Michael D:
    • Used to work at Free Geek, worked there for a long time
    • Became volunteer in 2010, climbed up to staff member
    • Been a long time passion
    • Rewarding to see community engagement and seeing people grow
    • Enjoys dismantling old technology
    • Long experience with Free Geek will be of benefit to Board
  • Chenessa:
    • Originally filled vacant Free Geek HR role
    • Degree in Marketing & HR from UBC
    • Volunteer Lead Recruiter for BC Marketing Association
    • Chose to volunteer with FG because of what it stands for and community involvement
    • Has done non-profit consulting
    • Wants to help on HR side
    • Staff work so hard, wants to helps them succeed
    • Wants to help staff get organization, tools, resources
  • Caelin:
    • Just started volunteering at FG
    • Feels strongly about importance of recycling
    • Would be fun to take larger part
    • Background/experience: Shaw customer service sales rep
    • Degree in Marketing from UBC Kelowna
    • Teaching assistant in school
    • Volunteered at Kelowna women’s' shelter - similar vision - empowering people, education
    • Would like to become part of larger Free Geek family
  • Rex:
    • Grew up next to electronics plant
    • Found and repaired "defective walkie talkies"
    • Thankful for growing up while preventing waste and helping people
    • Would like to continue contributing in this way
  • Jodi (Kricket interpreting):
    • Director at large at Free Geek
    • Believes in mission statement
    • What we do is needed in this neighbourhood
    • No e-junk in wrong hands
    • Wants to make sure FG keeps going and is accountable and transparent
    • Make companies responsible
  • Kricket:
    • I'm the volunteer coordinator
    • I've been pushed and locked out and haven't been able to do my job
    • Would like to run again because a strong volunteer at heart, passionate about volunteers
    • Volunteers have had struggles, haven't been heard
    • There are serious problems

Candidate Q&A

  • Mike F: I have a question
  • Kricket: Come on, bring it, what's up?
  • Mike F: Where were you last year?
  • Kricket: Don't patronize me
    • Don't go there
  • Mike F: Why weren't you doing your job last year?
  • Kricket: Don't antagonize me
  • Mike F: We asked to meet with you
  • Kricket: That's a personal issue, that's been legal ***** matters
  • Mike F: It's not personal. What happened?
  • Kricket: This is personal and in legal hands and I'm not going to address it
    • How's that?
  • Jodi: (to Caelin) Are you in a relationship with anyone at FG?
  • Caelin: Yes, I'm dating Michael G
  • Kricket: That's what I thought. Thank you.
  • Michael D: (to Kricket) What's your plan of attack to engage volunteers?
  • Kricket: Engage personally and outreach
    • More involvement to keep volunteers; to be more personal
    • Just go do your job
    • Not much training at stations
    • Just have more involvement?
  • Adrian: Which volunteer events did you plan, coordinate, or attend last year?
  • Kricket: I shopped for Christmas stuff for the Christmas party
    • I didn't attend because I know you didn't want me there
  • Adrian: Any other events?
  • Kricket: That's what I'm going to answer to you right now
  • Mike F: You say volunteers are not being trained. How did you find that out? You haven't been at Free Geek for so long.
  • Kricket: I'm still talking to volunteers
  • Mike F: Where?
  • Kricket: What does it matter? That's private information.
  • Mike F: Volunteers are coming to you with complaints. Do you have documentation? Did you share that with us?
  • Kricket: Why would I share that with you? Is there anything that you've share with me?
  • Mike: There's a lot of innuendo and accusations with no examples or evidence
  • Kricket: You have a personal issue with me
  • There's evidence coming
  • Michael G: (to Jodi) What skills or qualifications do you have that would make you a good recycling lead or treasurer?
  • Jodi (interpreted by Kricket): Been involved with accounting company in Ottawa
  • Karen: Why didn't we get a resume?
  • Michael G: Please return to the question, everybody
  • Jodi (interpreted by Kricket): Worked with Marcus and Dave
    • Made sure nobody gets hurt
    • Has been in this field for quite some time
  • Michele: Any more questions?
  • Jodi: Why is staff personally attacking directors?
  • Michael G: You're getting off topic. Keep your questions directed at someone specific.
  • Kricket: I have a question for Nigel
    • We've had serious problems
    • There have been complaints, emails about volunteers having problems
    • Why has nothing been done about it?
  • Nigel: I don't have those emails in front of me; I don't know what you're referring to.
  • Kricket: We have a staff member that makes volunteers feel intimidated
    • We have a volunteer list of people complaining about staff member who is rude and nobody wants to work with
    • You've gotten personal emails from status people stating this many different situations that have happened
    • Why haven't you done anything about this?
  • Nigel: In the last year, I have not received those emails
  • Kricket: I can prove that. I should have brought them.
  • Jodi: Email
  • Nigel: You are both directors, you share the same responsibility as me, and it takes the AGM to bring up this?
  • Kricket: I have taken procedures
    • You have failed
    • If I show you these emails will you fix the problem?
  • Nigel: I don't know what problem you're talking about
  • Kricket: Thank you. Enough said.
  • Jeff: (to Chenessa) You actually don't have any HR experience?
  • Chenessa: Graduated from UBC in Marketing and HR
    • Volunteers in recruitment for BC Marketing Agency
    • In university, worked as student advisor, did recruitment, training
  • Kricket: (to Chenessa) Are you able to help contain a heated discussion? Do you have the ability to monitor and facilitate people that are at odds?
  • Chenessa: Facilitator is a separate position
    • As HR lead, if there is a staff issue and there's heated discussion, I can be facilitator for that
  • Kricket: There was a staff heated discussion in regards to a director
  • That worries me
  • Chenessa: That is a separate position
    • Facilitator is a different position
  • Kricket: So, we need to actually add another position
  • Michael G: There is a lead facilitator and an assistant lead facilitator
  • Kricket: That's not doing any help
    • We need an HR facilitator
  • Nigel: HR facilitating is not the same thing
  • Jodi: If there are directors breaking the law...
  • Michael G: Is this question directed at someone?
  • Jodi: No
  • Michael D: We're over time for questions and answers
    • We're in the voting period

Voting

  • Nigel: Free Geek Voting:
    • If there is more than one candidate for a positing, we vote by name or Abstain. The candidates will leave the room. The facilitator will call each name and members will display their cards for the name of their choice when called. Votes for each candidate will be counted.
    • If there is only one candidate for the position the candidate for the position will leave the room and the members will display their cards for the member. They can vote Yes, No, or Abstain. No votes and Yes votes will be counted. If the candidate has more than 75% of the vote, then they are elected.
    • For example John Smith for treasurer. 13 people are present for the vote. 10 vote Yes, 2 note No and one Abstains. John has 10/12 of the vote (or 83%) and is elected tot he position.
    • If after an hour no candidate reaches a majority via the consensus model, we will go to a simple majority vote.
    • Free Geek is obliged to fulfill only these 3 positions under the BC Societies Act.
    • Lead Facilitator (President), Treasurer, and Secretary
    • Other positions for the board are listed below and we do not have to fill all these at the AGM:
      • Assistant Facilitator (Vice President)
      • Anti-Harassment Lead
      • Marketing Lead (Director of Marking)
      • HR Lead (Director of HR)
      • Volunteer Program Lead (Director of Volunteers)
      • Legal and Bylaw Lead
      • Recycling Lead
    • We will use the 75% supermajority model outlined in the minutes from July 28. http://wiki.freegeekvancouver.org/article/Monthly_Meeting_-_2015-07-28
  • Michael D: It says the facilitator will call each name, but both the facilitator and co-facilitator are nominees
  • Michael G Volunteers to call names
  • Kricket: I'm just looking at the people here and the voting rights. Staff & directors. Is this really it?
  • Michael G: We can't control who shows up
  • Robert P: (to Kricket) Why are you speaking for Jodi?
  • Michael G: This is getting irrelevant. The time for questions and discussion is over.
  • Jodi: [unclear]
  • Michael D: (to Jodi) We're 2.5 hours into this meeting. This is the worst possible time to bring up issues of membership. We're about to vote.
  • Jodi: [unclear]
  • Michael G Issues warning to Jodi to remain on topic

Facilitator Lead

  • Nigel leaves the room
  • Votes:
    • 13 Yeas
    • 2 Nays
    • 1 Abstention
  • Result: Nigel elected Facilitator Lead

Treasurer

  • Nigel and Jodi leave room
  • Votes:
    • 14 for Nigel
    • 2 for Jodi
  • Result: Nigel is elected Treasurer

Secretary

  • Michael D leaves room
  • Votes:
    • 17 Yeas
  • Result: Michael D is elected Secretary

Assistant Facilitator Lead

  • Rex leaves room
  • Votes:
    • 16 Yeas
    • 1 Abstention
  • Result: Rex is elected Assistant Facilitator Lead

Marketing Lead

  • Caelin leaves room
  • Votes:
    • 14 Yeas
    • 2 Nays
    • 2 Abstentions
  • Result: Caelin is elected Marketing Lead

HR Lead

  • Chenessa leaves room
  • Votes:
    • 14 Yeas
    • 2 Nays
  • Result: Chenessa is elected HR Lead

Volunteer Program Lead

  • Kricket and Michael D leave the room
  • Votes:
    • 14 for Michael D
    • 2 for Kricket
    • 1 Abstention
  • Result: Michael D is elected Volunteer Program Lead

Recycling Lead

  • Jodi leaves the room
  • Votes:
    • 1 Yea
    • 13 Nays
    • 2 Abstentions

Results

  • Facilitator Lead: Nigel
  • Treasurer: Nigel
  • Secretary: Michael D
  • Assistant Facilitator Lead: Rex
  • Marketing: Caelin
  • HR Lead: Chenessa
  • Volunteer Program Lead: Michael D
  • Recycling Lead: None

Closing Remarks

  • Karen: Can everyone on the board email me with mailing address and phone number
  • Rex: One person got dropped off board because they didn't submit address
    • It's legally required
  • Jeff: Can contact info for directors be posted on wiki?
  • Rex: Isn't an email sent?
  • Nigel: Adjourn meeting?
  • Rex: Seconded
  • Nigel: Let's clean up. Thanks very much for attending.
Personal tools