Annual General Meeting - 2014-08-21

From FGVwiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Annual General Meeting minutes for Thursday, August 21st, 2014, 7:00pm at
Location: Maritime Labour Centre, 1880 Triumph Street, Vancouver BC
Previous: Annual General Meeting - 2013-09-12 | Next: Annual General Meeting - 2015-08-20


Contents

Introductions

  • Robert
  • William
  • Rick
  • Mike F.
  • Sid
  • Nigel
  • William
  • Rick
  • Sid Mickey
  • Kricket
  • Justin D.
  • Brian M.
  • Mike F.
  • Jax
  • Nevada
  • Patricia
  • Brian D.
  • Anna
  • Patrick
  • David Repa
  • Trevor
  • Michael
  • Jeffrey
  • Ian
  • Rex
  • Marcus
  • Ifny
  • Michelle
  • Karen
  • Lance
  • Sean
  • Alec
  • Adam
  • Kim
  • Daryl
  • Alex D.
  • Ben


Ifny:

  • Would like to take photo of meeting room for Free Geek website. Photo will be property of Free Geek. Any other usage will require permission.


Reports

Alec:

  • Gives consensus briefing


Michael D:

  • Bylaw 22: If proposal doesn't reach consensus, it will be decided by majority vote at next general meeting


Robert P:

  • Summary of past AGM minutes
  • No objections to minutes
  • Approved
  • Provides definition of "membership"


Michael D:

  • Staff Report
  • Two recent staff changes:
    1. Dave and Tim have left, Michelle has been hired in new position as "store coordinator"
    2. Marcus is a contract employee for warehouse
  • Upgrades:
    • Warehouse Department: Server moved in dedicated room, new location for HD & RAM testing (this has increased capacity), new automated electronic sign in system.
    • Volunteer Department: Improvements in scheduling system, more variety in tasks, new orientation system.
    • Explanation of new orientation system:
    • Old system: People forced to attend long session without knowing if they want to volunteer, which led to frustration for both staff and attendees.
    • New system: Potential volunteers can come anytime, fill out form, receive information package, agree to terms, schedule first shift, come for first shift, receive shorter faster orientation.


Brian M:

  • We should have copy of volunteer information package online
  • We should have volunteers bring back package to be recycled


Karen:

  • We have a community board, volunteer of the month, kitchen has been overhauled, appreciation given to big sponsor (Mills)


Michael D:

  • Continuation of Staff Report:
  • Build Department: No more P4s, still using 12.04, experimenting with Mint especially for Macs, success with paid and unpaid interns, $50 systems very popular
  • Recycling Department: Plastics being recycled (West Coast Plastics & PCR), inkjet and toner cartridge recycling, lots of donations from Shaw (PVRs), have big shelves and we're using vertical space, pallet loader


Sid:

  • Are we using Mint for other machines? As an alternative distribution?


Michael D:

  • Just for Macs right now


Rex:

  • Based on experiences at Open Help Night, Mint is dependent on Ubuntu versions, doesn't upgrade well. This has caused some problems. There are some downsides and we should warn people.


Lance:

  • Mint is good for weaning people off Windows XP.


Michael D:

  • Continuation of Staff Report:
  • Store Department:
    • We're taking bitcoin now
    • New store coordinator will be working on layout, prices
    • Lots of successful store interns
    • $50 gift certificate now offered as alternative to adoption box
    • Now offer 20% discount on laptops vs. none in past
    • Selling 40 laptops per month
    • Have enough for hardware grants
  • Donations are steady
  • Mike F. will probably need more space
  • No shortage of builders
  • New shelving thanks to Kricket


Sid:

  • Are store certificate available as gift certificates?


Michael:

  • Don't see why we couldn't


Brian M:

  • There could be caveats


Rex:

  • The bitcoin payment process could be improved. Took 5 tries once


Robert P

  • Thank you, Michael


Nigel:

  • Directors Report:
    • Been a busy year for directors
    • Been focused on stability of staff and organization
    • Been involved in several events
    • We were involved in Green Living Fair at Vancouver Community College, lots of interest from passersby
    • We were involved in e-waste drive at Strathcona Business Improvement Association (they've been really good people).
  • Collected and picked up e-waste.
    • We were involved with Sustain Our World Event at Britannia Community Centre
    • We were involved with BC Rivers Day. Collected lots of e-waste.
    • We had social events (thanks to Kricket) including Trusty Thar
  • Ubuntu Release Party
    • Took trip to Portland (Nigel, Robert, Mike F., Michael D). One intensive day at Free Geek Portland. Thanks to Richard Seymour for opening so many doors.
    • Been searching for cost effective way for time keeping; working with Karen; ensuring proper records
    • Personal thanks to all directors, including Alec (part time) and Scott


Alex:

  • Is Trusty Tahr stable enough?


Rex:

  • Trusty Tahr seems to work better on higher end machines vs. lower-end machines


Nigel:

  • Financial Report
    • 2013: Deficit forecast of $21,000
    • End of year actual $12,500
    • 2012: Made profit
    • 2012: Shortfall of $12,000
    • 2013: Cost increased $55,000 due primarily to living wage increase
    • 2013: Major goal is to increase revenue/sales
    • 2013: Sales flat, recycling revenue up slightly
    • 2013: Deficit forecast $30,000
    • June 1, 2014 net worth: $126,000


Alec:

  • 2nd year of wage increase?
  • Is there no plan to return to profitability? Cannot recollect a plan in the past 2 years
  • Expresses concern


Nigel:

  • With shortfall, we can decrease costs or we can increase revenue
  • There's been difficulty in getting Free Geek to market itself differently


Alex:

  • We should emphasize education over marketing to increase revenue


Sid:

  • Suggestions about how to increase revenue:
  • Advertise online that people can buy computer parts from Free Geek
  • Take requests, ship out part when we get it


Nigel:

  • We're looking at an eBay aspect for sales


Michelle:

  • I'm looking at all avenues to try increase sales, traffic


Nigel:

  • Portland markets itself as THE place to recycle
  • I want FGV to be THE go to place to recycle and buy computers


Kricket:

  • It's not that anyone hasn't done anything wrong
  • There shouldn't be an honour system with volunteers signing in.


Dave M:

  • We have monthly general meetings to discuss ideas
  • This should be a strategic meeting


Rex:

  • Are we giving out charity tax receipts?
  • Why not?


Nigel:

  • We're not a registered charity
  • Donations need to be valued as zero, so no tax receipts


Ifny:

  • Status of training videos?


Michael D:

  • Took a lot of overtime 30-40 hours
  • Handed raw video to Kricket


Kricket:

  • Haven't found anything to edit after looking for an hour
  • Life has been busy
  • Been meaning to pull aside Michael and Adrian to consult


Sean:

  • How is overtime is managed?


Michael D:

  • All overtime must be approved


Karen:

  • Anything beyond overtime is "volunteer hours"


Kricket:

  • Paying overtime has been a matter of honour system
  • It was then "piled on"
  • If I'm wrong, please correct me


Mike F:

  • That is incorrect
  • We were asked to account for TOIL back to a certain date
  • The TOIL was handled was illegal


Alex:

  • What about temporary labour? What does everyone think?


Rex:

  • Would cost 1.5 to 2x regular


Robert P:

  • Any questions?


Ifny:

  • Overtime is requested ahead of time?
  • Is there a number hours approved?


Karen:

  • We approve on a case by case basis
  • Some staff work 8 hours during a different part of the day


Mike F.

  • There is a budget cap for all staff cumulatively per month


Ifny:

  • Why wasn't financial statements given 10 days in advance as required by society?


Nigel:

  • Didn't think to
  • Financial documents are available now


Ifny:

  • It's difficult to review to the members' satisfaction financial documents when they're not given ahead of time
  • I'm raising this as a concern


Dave M:

  • Yes, it's a requirement


Jeffrey

  •  ???


Brian D:

  • It would make sense to not make flash decisions


Ben:

  • There's someone (Nigel) covering president, treasurer, marketing role all at once


Brian D:

  • Is there an average amount of overtime?
  • Do the staff feel overworked?


Mike F:

  • I try to avoid overtime
  • I come in early, count that as volunteer time


Karen:

  • Other staff do the same


Brian D:

  • I'm just hoping there isn't too much work


Karen:

  • There is enough work to warrant overtime, but we just can't afford it


Alec:

  • Is that legal that staff do volunteer time because Free Geek can't afford it?


Mike F:

  • It's our choice


Robert P:

  • No one's asking them to


Nigel:

  • If they chose to claim overtime, we would honour it


Lance:

  • This is typical of salaried people


Karen:

  • I volunteer


Alec:

  • This sounds risky
  • People have a certain role to fulfill and a certain workload, they're doing it, and not getting paid for it
  • Difference between hourly vs. salary


Karen:

  • We're down 2 employees
  • We all worked to get stuff done
  • We sometimes feel overworked and underpaid, but who doesn't
  • We work because we want to do


Alec:

  • That's one of the reasons we did living wage increase * are we trading that for an increase in volunteer time?
  • Instead of people getting paid less, are they now expected to work additional?


Mike F:

  • We are capable of advocating for ourselves
  • We have personal days
  • It's a good deal


Adrian:

  • I concur with Karen and Mike F.
  • I willingly signed up for this
  • Sometimes I feel overworked but this is part and parcel of a non-profit environment and I accept this very willingly


Ian:

  • How would you feel about a new hire who didn't want to work in the same way?


Karen:

  • Most of our new hires are past volunteers * they know the culture
  • Biggest shock would be new directors


Michelle:

  • As intern, while doing volunteering, at no time did I feel pressure to volunteer extra


Ifny:

  • There can be a culture where people feel compelled to overwork, especially in non profit
  • It's good to hear staff are willing to work as they do
  • Would like to make motion to defer financial statements to next general meeting to Oct. 14th * it may not be legal to approve them, we should provide them in advance so that this AGM is conducted legally


Nigel:

  • Report given is identical to one given at last monthly meeting
  • Will support everything to be legal


Ifny:

  • Would like to make a motion


Robert P:

  • Any objections?
  • No objections heard
  • Financial reports will be presented at next general meeting


Ifny:

  • We'll put it to the next general meeting and it will be held Oct 14


Nigel:

  • Why not next 2 weeks?


Ifny:

  • It would really help to get the financial statements to those who need to see them with sufficient time
  • There was a year to submit them


Nigel:

  • We didn't have a year
  • We're not approving reports from last year, but reports from last month


Dave R:

  • 6 weeks is unreasonable
  • Honest mistake was made


Nigel:

  • Financial documents will be circulated by tomorrow through the membership


Ifny:

  • Any objections?


Robert P:

  • We will have financial reports approved Sept 9th


Mike F:

  • We're supposed to out of here by 9pm


Special Resolutions

Nigel:

  • So far, we have asked for emergency number and contact, over 6,000 that we promised to only contact in emergency
  • Proposal to send one-time notice to all volunteers about fg-announce


Candidate Introductions

Nigel:

  • Skills in corporate setting, decision making
  • Since 1974, involved in anarchist movement, understands consensus process

David R:

  • 8, 9 years ago could envision this
  • Recently sold Hackery
  • Involved in Basel
  • With more free time, would like to bring experience to maximize revenue
  • Brings contacts in BCRA, Vanguard, research, selling e-waste


Patrick:

  • Been volunteering for 1 year
  • BCIT mechanical department
  • Military exo skeleton * Linux
  • Generate higher revenue
  • Arrange BCIT donations
  • Interested in recycling or anti-harassment


Brian D:

  • A volunteer
  • Lots of retail experience
  • Really enjoy the organization
  • Would like to be further involved


Sid:

  • Lots of successful sales/telemarketing fundraising experience
  • Wants to improve exposure through fundraising campaigns, contact corporations
  • This is the future of Free Geek * soliciting people who don't have time to go to the store
  • This is where we'd have more success
  • Willing to train people


Kricket:

  • Made a help line, donation box, like giving Free Geek a face lift
  • Love volunteers, love defending them
  • Talked to volunteer, comes to FG to be comfortable, has peace at home


Jeffrey:

  • Wants FG systems working smoothly
  • Wants to make sure FG has appropriate tools to move forward
  • Wants to get rid of hand written papers


Nigel:

  • Been in IT industry since first PC in 1984
  • Has environmental background
  • Amazed at people
  • Amazed with Portland
  • Would like to take FG to next stage


Alex:

  • E-waste has a lot of usability
  • We should make it usable


Adam S:

  • Was at FG at the beginning
  • Then had children
  • Hours don't work when you have children


Sean H:

  • Was here at beginning
  • Was FG bookkeeper
  • Helped in the backend
  • Away 4-5 years
  • Good with governance, making things smoother
  • Helped with grant proposals


Karen:

  • Is Sean interested in being treasurer?


Sean:

  • I'm interested in looking at financial documents, perhaps stewarding


Robert P:

  • Been secretary for a year
  • Hate being secretary
  • Been involved with computers for a long time
  • Also a musician
  • Love FG and staff


Asano [read in absentia]:

  • Was office manager at Portland
  • Strong people person
  • Travelling in Europe
  • Will be back in September


Nigel:

  • Does anyone know this person?


Dave R:

  • He's a great PR person


George Wong [read in absentia]:

  • Would like to assist in recycling
  • Same background as last year


Thomas H:

  • Vancouver Hack Space
  • Software background
  • Aircraft engineer
  • Thrives in high pressure
  • Good fit for environment


Meeting Moved to Free Geek Premises

Meeting called to order


Karen:

  • Will George Wong be working from home


Alec & Nigel:

  • Description doesn't say so


Alec:

  • Reads George Wong's submission on wiki


Ben:

  • Point of Order: should this be summarized in absentia?


Alec:

  • Continues reading George Wong's submission
  • Reads Phil Sano's submission


Definition of Roles

Alec:

  • 11 roles
  • We don't have to fill each one
  • Individual may take more than one role


Robert P:

  • Board Facilitator Lead:
    • Self nomination: Nigel
    • Trevor
  • Assistant Board Facilitator Lead:
    • Robert
    • Trevor
  • Treasurer:
    • Sean
  • Secretary:
    • Trevor
    • Robert
  • HR Lead:
    • Patrick Chu
    • Adam


Sid:

  • Want to add a dimension to communication and marketing


Trevor:

  • That falls under marketing

Production Lead Nominations:

  • Robert
  • Brian D
  • Jeffrey

Alec:

  • Proposal: have a Values Lead
  • This is missing, we should have one
  • Proposal: Open Source Software position
  • Proposal: Community Governance position


Robert P:

  • Any objections for Values Lead?


Brian M:

  • Education should be added as part of Values Lead
  • Friendly amendment


Mike F:

  • Commissars


Nigel:

  • This sounds like a political role rather than political role
  • I don't agree with this


Mike F:

  • We follow our 4 principles and motto, why do we need a watchdog?


Ifny:

  • What about a mandate and mission steward?


Mike F:

  • Or we make that part of existing positions


Michael D:

  • The stewards of Free Geek are its members
  • It's everyone's responsibility to uphold the 4 principles
  • Members have every legal right to approach directors and ask them for change


Alec:

  • We haven't had attendance at monthly meetings for 4-5 months


Dave M:

  • If we have a way to email everyone, then we have a way to boost attendance


Ifny:

  • Should we have an en-reach lead responsible for communicating?


Brian M:

  • These duties should be added to each director
  • There is concern that this isn't covered by other positions
  • We should leave this to the next board meeting


Dave R:

  • People are trying to create positions to solve a problem when the problems are systematic
  • Would rather see a solid core of members


Robert:

  • Values Lead has been blocked by Brian M


Group:

  • Nothing has been blocked


Ian:

  • Does everyone agree that this should be given to the board?
  • No objections


Karen:

  • We should distribute Directors Agreement


Ifny:

  • There hasn't been an opportunity for candidates to receive questions
  • How does it work where if there are no suitable nominations?


Mike F:

  • There are two rounds to give people a chance to have second thoughts


Michael D:

  • Explains selection process:
    • Go through position by position
    • Each member in good standing is given slip of paper - they may select person
    • Facilitator counts number of slips for each role
    • Before slips collected, each person explains why they selected
    • People are given opportunity to change vote
    • Positions are then given


Brian M:

  • Not rigidly 2 rounds


Dave R:

  • How many seats?


Brian M:

  • 5 are required by FG bylaws
  • How many board positions?


Robert:

  • 11 board positions
  • 16 candidates including 3 not present


Ifny:

  • If members want to nominate another person, how does that work?


Mike:

  • Person nominated that isn't self-nominated can accept or refuse


Robert P:

  • Directors agreement is available to look at


Group:

  • Discussion about how to select candidates * paper vs. show of hands


Ifny:

  • Concerned about 16 people who want to run and 11 positions
  • Board can be more than 11 positions
  • How would we add additional 5 positions?


Nigel:

  • Let's have a show of hands for each position


Ifny:

  • There's a lot of role sharing
  • Let's go person by person
  • Let's decide who we want to have on the board first
  • I'd like to make this a motion


Mike F:

  • The old method has worked twice already, is much simpler than you might think
  • Distributes slips


Alec:

  • Process is based on Socratic principles


Brian D:

  • Apologizes, leaves


Michael D:

  • Not everyone here is a member, not everyone here is a member in good standing


Robert P:

  • Reads list of members in good standing


Ifny:

  • I would like my slips
  • I have completed 12 hours within 90 days, submitted 30 days in advance
  • I submitted my hours to the board on time
  • Submitted hours on July 1st and would like to be given slips


Michael D:

  • Ifny did not perform sufficient hours


Ifny:

  • Would be sad and inappropriate if I could not participate due to an admin error by FG


Michael D:

  • Did not receive hours in time


Ifny:

  • I can give record of hours
  • I would like board to speak on this matter


Mac:

  • Gives account of what he received [didn't catch everything]


Ifny:

  • Gives report of hours


Michael D:

  • Reads record of Ifny's hours
  • June 26 * 5 hours
  • July 1 * 6.5 hours
  • July 13 * 1.5 hours
  • July 16 * 2.5 hours


Ifny:

  • Nothing in bylaws that states hours must be logged in time
  • I would like to be given membership as is my due
  • In other non-profits, when there are admin errors, you assume good faith
  • If you think it's best for the society, to take a member that's volunteered a lot of here time, but hours are not logged in literally, and you're not going to give her the ability to participate, then wow


Robert P:

  • Proposal is for Ifny to have full standing


Dave M:

  • Not sure what's happened


Kricket:

  • I heard the verbal confirmation when she submitted her hours on time


Robert P:

  • Any objections?


Nigel:

  • No objection
  • We should act in good faith
  • Ifny is given slips


Ian:

  • Reads out positions and nominations


Adrian:

  • Can I speak on Jeffrey's behalf?


Robert P:

  • Yes
  • Candidates are written on white board


Board Facilitator Lead

Michael D:

  • Any objections to Nigel as Board Facilitator Lead?


Alec:

  • Yes. Nigel has been a great resource. Approach to leadership is not compatible with consensus.


Karen:

  • Nigel has been so helpful. He's always been there.


Mike F:

  • Nigel has been the best lead that I've seen.


Adrian:

  • Nigel has been great in his position. He's made my job easier.


Jeffrey:

  •  ???


Alec:

  • Where we've disagreed, things have gone far south
  • On 3 occasions, I've heard no response when I voiced concerns over communications problem e.g., what's the plan for returning to profitability
  • Considers response as bullying
  • Shenanigans on general mailing list
  • Illegal acts
  • I'm fully content to use a block
  • You've been leader for 2 years


Michael D:

  • No, just 1 year


Alec:

  • I stepped down because I didn't have the time to change it
  • 2 specific instances
  • Selection of directors
  • Financial concerns
  • Way in which questions were answered


Karen:

  • The first month is overwhelming


Michael D:

  • FYI, we've had a skeletal board
  • Nigel was filling 3 roles plus a whole lot more
  • Literally in absence, a huge amount of responsibility was given to Nigel
  • Willing to forgive occasional mistakes
  • Have never received anything in bad faith from him
  • Nigel has kids and is employed


Alec:

  • We're just talking about a single role


Michael D:

  • You're talking about things unrelated to his role


Alec:

  • Regarding performance
  • Poor decision making


Mike F:

  • Specific examples?

Alec:

  • E.g., Agenda at general meeting
  • Went on long due to open source subject
  • Agreed to adjourn
  • There was an extraordinary meeting
  • Items that weren't discussed were discussed there
  • Agenda wasn't posted in advance


Nigel:

  • I sent out agenda by email


Alec:

  • Move not made in good faith
  • Intention was to get things done not in presence of people who didn't want things done


Mike F:

  • This is not illegal


Ifny:

  • Reads specific bylaw
  • Meeting time has to occur at agreed upon time
  • Membership was not notified sufficiently


Nigel:

  • I could provide a counter argument
  • I haven't done anything untoward


Jax:

  • Nigel has acted rudely
  • Nigel has disregard and disrespect for consensus model


Nigel:

  • Consensus works fine if you have 20 people but it becomes more difficult as we grow larger


Jax:

  • You have to play within the model


Nigel:

  • I agree with the consensus model


Dave R:

  • If we choose to quarrel the past with the present we lose sight of the future
  • We're not here to tear down Nigel's character
  • We're hear to make sure FG survives
  • While there might be concerns, we are not here to attack
  • If there are concerns we should make the new Board accountable to fix the problems
  • Maybe there's someone to intervene but Alec you left
  • How do we move forward from here?
  • We need to pick a board that will work


Ifny:

  • This is a tough process
  • There was some extreme impropriety, some illegal things
  • If we want to make sure FG is free from harm, we need to address
  • At last general meeting, witnessed director speaking about person no longer working there. This is illegal.
  • It is a director's job to make sure they know
  • FG can't condone this behaviour
  • Victoria could dismantle this organization
  • Nigel is an asset but can't support his leadership on Board


Jeffrey:

  • I believe we should give Nigel another chance
  • He was dedicated
  • He was there for FG
  • He didn't want to do harm to this organization


Alec:

  • I have simply said that I would like to block
  • I don't want to get personal


Rex:

  • Do you want to block him for other positions


Alec:

  • Depends on the position


Dave M:

  • You're using ammunition when you've popped out after a month


Ian:

  • I think you're a valuable asset to the team
  • You're the only person wearing a pressed white shirt * I think this speaks to what you bring to this organization
  • Your strengths are not the strengths needed for this position - I say this with the utmost respect
  • I've been to meeting when you're there and not there. When you're there, there's a tension and defensiveness and conflict you bring to meetings
  • You need to work on this - this skill will make you a better organizer and person
  • I think you're a great person
  • I think we need to recognize the limitations of your skills
  • I say this with the utmost respect


Karen:

  • With all due respect
  • Ifny, you had 12 hours
  • Nigel puts in 20 hours per week, is in the trenches helping us out
  • I find it incredulous you can so judgmental while sitting at home
  • I don't get it


Jax:

  • He was one of the founders


Michael D:

  • This has no bearing on the decision


Karen:

  • I appreciate you giving your 3 hours a month
  • You have to give Nigel credit instead of tearing him down


Nigel:

  • I'm going to quit and leave
  • I thoroughly believe FG is a fantastic organization
  • The people who put the hours in are brilliant
  • Armchair activists have said things that may be right or wrong
  • Can't debate this
  • Can't go through 6 pages of emails, don't have time answer all the question
  • I've done my best
  • You are welcome to your opinion
  • If this is how people you treat who put in hours and dedication, don't know anyone who would want this
  • I'm leaving


Karen:

  • I don't blame him


Robert P:

  • I'm boycotting this meeting


Michael D:

  • Proposal: Staff will reconvene tomorrow and will make a call out for another meeting on FG announce, will try to make timing convenient
  • Everyone has to go now


Ifny:

  • We can reassign the facilitator role
  • We can move to another building
  • We need to be legal


Michael D:

  • You will be blocked if you try to move to another building
  • We will send out an announcement tomorrow


Ifny:

  • I don't know if this is legal
  • I don't want to be saying this


Ian:

  • Can we get consensus about setting next AGM at reasonable date?


Michael D:

  • I need to go over everything and find the best solution


Ian:

  • Does anyone have any questions about fairness?


Alec:

  • The existing board carries on


Michael D:

  • Everyone leaves


2014 AGM 2014 Resumption October 2, 2014, 6:30pm

Preamble

Michael D:

  • Thank you all for coming
  • I will be facilitating
  • Adrian will be scribing
  • Robert P will be assistant facilitator


Introductions

  • Mike F.
  • Daryl
  • Mac
  • Brian M.
  • Rex
  • Nigel
  • Anna
  • Karen
  • Patrick
  • Roxana
  • Jodi
  • Ingo
  • Sid
  • Lance
  • Stanley
  • Michele
  • Adrian
  • Michael D.
  • Robert P.

Michael D:

  • Explains why we're here how we're conducting the meeting:
    • Free Geek is a society by law
    • We must have membership and Board of Directors (BOD)
    • FG is responsible to members, members are in charge of everything
    • Members decide who is BOD * that's why we're having this meeting
    • Society Act mandates we have at least 5 directors:
    1. President (Lead Facilitator)
    2. Vice President (Assistant Facilitator)
    3. Secretary, Treasurer
    4. 5th role decided by membership
  • We are stuck with the roles that have already been filled and ones required by law:
    • HR Lead
    • Anti-Harassment Lead
    • Marketing Lead
    • Legal and Bylaw Lead
    • Volunteer Program Lead
  • Anyone that wants to be a director, but who hasn't been selected for any of listed roles, can still be selected as "director at large"
  • Most importantly, we're operating under bylaw 22.2 i.e., we are conducting this by vote
  • This is the first time we've done this
  • Voting is done by show of hands (as required by bylaws)
  • This is a continuation. Therefore, no new proposals. We are just finishing up last meeting and deciding directors.


Jodi:

  • Question (???)


Michael D:

  • Explains process (see handout)


Brian M:

  • Can candidates vote by proxy?


Michael D:

  • Yes
  • Explains roles (see handout)
  • We have 7 candidates present:
    1. Rex
    2. Patrick
    3. Sid
    4. Kricket
    5. Jodi
    6. Nigel
    7. Robert P
  • We have candidates we haven't heard from:
    • Alex D.
    • Adam
    • Asano
    • George
    • Phil
    • We have Trevor who's not present but still interested
    • Trevor is still interested in facilitating meetings
    • Michael D summarizes Trevor's email to FG
    • Candidates will be given a chance to speak (5 minutes max)
    • Recommended that candidates mention 2-3 things they'd like to change about FG


Candidate Introduction & Q&A

Rex:

  • FG has made tremendous difference in own life
  • Has done so without guilt because of ethical recycling
  • Wants to give similar opportunity to others
  • Wants to make FG profitable


Kricket:

  • What's your background?


Rex:

  • Anything that involves "talk"
  • Owned businesses since 1983 (self employed since that time)
  • Dissolved company in 1988, but certain customers still only trust him for advice


Patrick:

  • Studied computer forensics
  • BCIT
  • Ran own company for 6 years
  • Used to be FG staff


Mike F:

  • Don't you have contacts?


Patrick:

  • I need an official FG position first before I can exercise contacts. Otherwise, contacts don't want to negotiate with me.


Sid:

  • I'm relatively new
  • Fundraised for knowledge network (TV), did well
  • Broadcast Arts graduate * never pursued
  • Would like to be value added person
  • Will be whatever you want


Kricket:

  • Been volunteer all my life
  • Passion for volunteering
  • Couple years back, started running non-profit thrift store (run by volunteers in DTES)
  • Love computers and volunteers


Michael D:

  • Do you have any plans?


Kricket:

  • Would like to work on new roles
  • Can't say off top of head


Jodi:

  • I want to be a volunteer at FG because I believe in the mandate and I like (???)
  • Makes possible for low income people to own computers (???)


Michael D:

  • What's the most important project you've been working on?


Jodi:

  • Been working on getting Mint working for FG in the same way that Ubuntu does, as a robust option


Mac:

  • Are you still helping out Tyler?


Jodi:

  • Yes


Nigel:

  • Been with FG for 3.5 years
  • Used to be IT manager in downtown Vancouver
  • Was originally giving computers to organizations less ethical than FG
  • There's a lot FG can do to market itself, but takes time and effort
  • Has faced intriguing conflicts; interested to see what's stopping FG; is often ourselves
  • We've addressed those challenges
  • We've turned sales around
  • Have spoken to Nancy re: online sales (undervalued commodity)
  • Took team to Portland to visit parent organization
  • They have a city block, contract with City of Portland, 35 staff, 2 part time staff, dedicated roles
  • There's so much more we can do here
  • I can help FG turn a corner


Karen:

  • Question (???)


Nigel:

  • Drove up to UBC, made sure pallet was delivered following day, accepted donations


Jodi:

  •  ???


Nigel:

  • We don't have the publicity


Sid:

  • Do you feel that, with the several roles you've taken on, can someone do more than one role and be effective?


Nigel:

  • You do what needs to be done and not worry about recognition
  • Happy to take on multiple roles


Robert P:

  • Had early start with computers, music, repair business, computer store
  • Lots of hardware knowledge
  • FG seems like a good marriage, FG feels like family
  • Like any marriage, there are problems e.g., brought Windows in to test some hardware
  • FG is reusing more
  • Goals: Reuse, sell as much as possible, get revenue, paper trail, documentation (on the wiki), get directors more organized


Karen:

  • What do you mean by paper trail?


Robert P:

  • Make wiki more friendly, information more accessible


Sid:

  • What about a database?


Robert P:

  • We have a database, which we don't use much


Michael D:

  • There are still other candidates
  • Can read from wiki


Daryl:

  • They're not here
  • If it's not important enough for them to be here, strike them


Kricket:

  • I agree


Mac:

  • Trevor couldn't make it, but he sent an email
  • He's interested


Michael D:

  • Provides summaries of absent candidates:
    • Trevor is a long time donor, interested in history and writing, interested in being secretary, marketing
    • Alex D is long time volunteer, volunteered all over the place, nominated self at last AGM, hasn't talked about being a candidate recently
    • Adam was warehouse guy, ex-employee, didn't say much during his introduction
    • Asano: don't know if anyone knows this person, could havenominated remotely


Karen:

  • Can anyone vouch for any of these people?


Michael D:

  • I can vouch for Trevor


Mac:

  • Adam was a very hard worker
  • He put out more than we currently do


Daryl:

  • Each of these people has something to offer. We should welcome them as volunteers.
  • But if we don't know who these people are, strike them
  • If it wasn't important enough for them to be here, they shouldn't be a director.


Michael D:

  • We have a legal obligation to consider them


Sid:

  • I agree with exception of Trevor
  • At best they should be voted in as directors at large


Nigel:

  • I had one hour conversation with Trevor
  • Met two people who can vouch for him
  • He cannot come because he's travelling
  • Can vouch for his abilities and interest


Robert P:

  • I consider Trevor to be here by proxy, he sent email


Michael D:

  • Trevor sent email 5 minutes before AGM
  • Haven't heard from other candidates
  • We'll include him in roles that he's expressed interest in


Meeting pauses for break

Meeting resumes


Lead Facilitator

Candidates:

  • Nigel


Brian M:

  • Trevor stood for same position


Michael D:

  • He said he was interested in facilitating meetings


Brian M:

  • Sources say that he's no longer interested


Nigel leaves the room


Michael D:

  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Nigel?
  • Majority is for Nigel. He is Lead Facilitator.


Nigel enters the room


Michael D:

  • By majority, Nigel is Lead Facilitator


Assistant Facilitator

Candidates:

  • Rex


Robert P:

  • Nominates Trevor


Michael D:

  • Does it sound like his interest to facilitate meetings means he wants this position?


Mike F:

  • This sounds like what he'd want


Rex:

  • Votes for himself


Jodi:

  • Self nominates


Rex and Jodi leave the room


Michael D:

  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Rex?
  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Trevor?
  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Jodi?
  • Majority is for Rex. He is Assistant Facilitator.


Rex and Jodi enter the room


Michael D:

  • Majority has voted Rex as Assistant Facilitator


Secretary

Michael D:

  • Anyone for secretary?


Karen:

  • I nominate Trevor


Michael D:

  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Trevor?
  • By majority, Trevor is Secretary


Treasurer

Jodi:

  • Self nominates


Nigel:

  • Self nominates


Michael D:

  • Can someone hold two positions?


Daryl & Nigel:

  • Yes


Nigel:

  • I self nominate because I've done this for the past year


Jodi and Nigel leave the room


Michael D:

  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Jodi?
  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Nigel?
  • By majority, Nigel is our treasurer


Jodi and Nigel enter the room


Michael D:

  • Majority vote is for Nigel


HR Lead

Michael D:

  • This is not legally mandated by Victoria
  • Candidates?


Patrick:

  • Self nominates


Patrick leaves the room


Michael D:

  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Patrick?
  • By majority, Patrick is our HR Lead


Patrick enters the room


Michael D:

  • Patrick is new HR Lead


Anti-Harassment Lead

Michael D:

  • Candidates?


Patrick:

  • Self nominates


Jodi:

  • Self nominates


Patrick and Jodi leave the room


Michael D:

  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Patrick?
  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Jodi?
  • Patrick, by majority, is Anti-harassment Lead


Patrick and Jodi enter the room


Michael D:

  • Patrick is Anti-harassment Lead


Marketing Lead

Michael D:

  • Candidates?


Sid:

  • Self nominates


Trevor is nominated

Sid leaves the room


Michael D:

  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Sid?
  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Trevor?
  • By majority, Sid is Marketing Lead


Sid enters the room


Michael D:

  • Sid, you are the Marketing Lead


Recycling Lead

Michael D:

  • Candidates?


Robert P:

  • Self nominates


Jodi:

  • Self nominates


Robert P and Jodi leave the room


Michael D:

  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Robert?
  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Jodi?
  • By majority, Robert P is recycling lead


Robert P and Jodi enter the room


Michael D:

  • By majority, Robert P is recycling lead


Legal and Bylaw Lead

Michael D:

  • Candidates?


Robert P:

  • Self nominates


Jodi

  • Self nominates


Robert P and Jodi leave the room


Michael D:

  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Robert P?
  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Jodi?
  • By majority, Robert P is the Legal and Bylaw Lead


Robert P and Jodi enter the room


Michael D:

  • By majority, Robert P is the Legal and Bylaw Lead


Volunteer Program Lead

Michael D:

  • Candidates?


Kricket:

  • Self nominates


Kricket leaves the room


Michael D:

  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Kricket?
  • By majority, Kricket is Volunteer Program Lead


Kricket enters the room


Michael D:

  • By majority, Kricket is Volunteer Program Lead


Director at Large

Michael D:

  • We have one candidate who doesn't have a position * Jodi


Jodi leaves room


Michael D:

  • Votes and abstentions (by show of hands) for Jodi?
  • By majority, Jodi is a Director at Large


Jodi enters the room


Michael D:

  • By majority, Jodi is a Director at Large


Wrap Up

Applause for Michael D

Michael D:

  • Closing comments:
    • Congratulations, we've finished an AGM
    • Thank you for coming, thank you for participating, thank you for your passion
    • Going forward, expect more emails from society list
    • Society list will be primary way to contact membership
    • Staff would like to speak with new board for 2 minutes


Nigel:

  • I'd like to thank Michael D
  • He's done a lot of research about how to do things efficiently
Personal tools